Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First year strawberry patch

Posted by z5gardener none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 18:48

Hi. I wanted to get a little more advice than what I got from Nourse. I planted 25 Jewel (June-bearing) and 25 Mara Des Bois (ever-bearing). I'd appreciate any advice on how to start a successful berry patch.

For the Jewel, the directions say to allow 2-3 daughter plants to root on each side of the plant and to remove any additional runners. Do you trim the runners that form past the daughter plant also?

For the ever-bearing, the directions don't really say whether you should trim any of the runners. So do you let them all stay wherever they go, move them and let them root, or trim some?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First year strawberry patch

Re the Jewels, when did you plant them...spring? I didn't allow any runners the first year, but probably could have allowed a couple like they suggested, and yes, remove any additional runners. Sorry but I don't know much about ever-bearing.

o

delete double post

This post was edited by edweather on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 11:46

o

Yes, they were planted in the spring. So remove runners that continue after a daughter plant also? I read on some websites that removing runners can damage the parent plant, so I was hesitant to remove too much for fear of that.

o

I have never heard that removing runners hurts the plant. Not removing some sure CAN hurt them.

I started a new patch last year [Jewel, Earliglow, and Mesabi] and intend to have it bear 3 years with good care. I let the runners go out farther than 1 plant. [probably letting the mother make a dozen new ones.] Yes, it is import to keep the plants spaced about 6 inches apart. I had a tremendous crop this spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here