Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing dwarf apple rootstock

Posted by ridgescool none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 18:58

My dwarf apple trees have several new shoots that are growing about 3 feet from the trunk of the original tree. In other words, they are growing from the roots of dwarf rootstock. If i replant these, will i have the same dwarf rootstock do do some grafting to in a few years?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing dwarf apple rootstock

Yes you will provided it's really the rootstock. Three feet away is farther than usual if there are no intervening shoots. But it's certainly possible the shoots are your trees rootstock.

o
RE: growing dwarf apple rootstock

You should be able to tell when you try to lift them.

A rootstock I have "stooled" for me after the top died back due to winter kill. I kept the original in its pot and separated out two decent clones and plan to graft to all three tomorrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here