Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crabapples

Posted by cryostat99 SW (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 19:04

Other than feeding the birds, is there any use for crabapples?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crabapples

I believe they're often pickled or made into jellies.

o

Crabapples are more useful than apples actually.

They can be used for many of the things regular apples are, and are better than the latter for things like pickles, jellies, and hard cider. Plus they can be used as rootstocks, wildlife food, and ornamentals. They are usually much more dependable bearers as well, producing when full-size apples are frozen out, etc...

BUT, 99% of the crabapples planted in this country are purely ornamental/wildlife trees! They are mostly inedible and only can be used for a few of the things mentioned above...

Also see the related post on "crapapples"!

o

A crabapple question. I am seeing a lot of them around. Are they all crabapples or is there another look-alike that some could be? I see a lot of them with fruit the size of a Montmorency cherry.

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 0:53

THere are crabapples the size of a small blueberry. Apples are probably the most diverse fruit we grow. There are many varieties of edible crabapple. They are great to have as a branch in your tree because they're so good at pollination. They are more nutritious by weight than regular apples.
John S
PDX OR

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here