Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Report on Surround-soaked footsies for peaches and peach scab

Posted by mamuang Zone 6 a MA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 19:18

Hi There,

I put Surround-soaked on all my PF 24 C peaches when they were about a thumb size. I picked them today. All have no plum curculio or any other insect marks on them at all. This is my second year of using these footsies with great success, Mind you, I have only 30+ peaches so I could do it. I don't know if you want to put them on 100 of peaches.

My peaches have no insect damages but suffered scab pretty badly. I read an old post on scab. Jellyman, Scott and Olpea commented on that post re. peach scab vs bacteria spot. I think my peaches have scab. They are mostly around the stems. It made my peaches look rather ugly but I'll peel skin off before I eat. Next year, I will spray them with sulfur (before I put footsies on them) as Scott suggested on that post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Report on Surround-soaked footsies for peaches and peach scab

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 19:22

Thanks for posting on that. We need to share the results of our experiments.
John S
PDX OR

o

I get decent peaches here with just the surround. Next year you should leave the footsies off a few. Peaches really hold the Surround well with their fuzz.

o

H-Man,

My concern about spraying with Surround is clogging. My sprayer is a small, cheapie, hand-pump one. I don't want Surround to clog it.

I can leave footsies off a few peaches to see how much damage from PC I may have. I know I have PC because several tips of my peach shoots showed PC damage signs.

o

mamuang:

Tip damage is caused by peach twig borer or Oriental fruit moth, not PC.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 9:41

Congratulations Mamuang. I don't know what was discussed on the old post you reference, but below is a link that has images of scab and bac. spot. You may be aware scab doesn't affect the leaves as much as bac. spot. Bac. spot shows up on the leaves before it does on the fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Images of various maladies affecting peach

o

Olpea - thanks for the link. It's interesting. I bookmarked it for future reference

Fruitnut - thanks for the correction. I often get them confused.
I'll try leaving some peaches without protection next year to see what I get.

The leaves look good. With description Scott mentioned (in the old post) re. what to look for, and the picked on Olpea's link, I think it's more like scab. For all I know, I could have both!!!

o
surround and fungi

Surround is fine to protect against certain insects but not fungus. Fungi with this year heat was really bad. I used sulfur, I used copper never worked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here