Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jujube Harvest

Posted by AJBB 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 19:28

As my family waits with baited breath for our Red Baron peaches to ripen, we've moved on to harvesting jujubes. Outside of the cactus pear, the jujube remains one of the easiest fruit trees to grow here in Arizona. It's impervious to the 115 degree days in full blasted sun and thrives in the poor alkaline soil, putting on 3-5 feet of growth easily per year, with fruit often appearing on newly planted bare root trees. They are a favorite of everyone's favorite trash bird, the house finch, but the trees produce so heavily that I don't bother netting.

I currently have So (aka "contorted"), regular/standard Li, Sugarcane, and Sherwood growing on my property.

The Li and Sherwood trees are grafted onto Indian jujube stock from a local grower (Reid Rodger, RSI Growers of Glendale); the other two were purchased through Dave Wilson on their own rootstock. I also have a Li from Dave Wilson on its own rootstock and it's not as precocious as the grafted Li.

Many of us have relied on the picture from Bass (who runs the Trees of Joy website in Pennsylvania) to have an idea as to how big the various jujube cultivars get.

photo bassjujube_zpsc4eaa941.jpg

I figured I would do the same, as I have yet to see a picture of So, Li, Sugarcane, and Sherwood next to each other. So here goes.

photo azjujube1-2_zps28bf69dc.jpg

photo azjujube2-2_zps0bea9ade.jpg

Taste wise, we prefer Sugarcane over the other four varieties. So tastes similar to Sugarcane, just not as incredibly sweet. Sherwood tastes similar to Li, just smaller. So in order -- Sugarcane >> So > Li=Sherwood. In addition, the later harvest in September/early October tends to taste better than the August harvest in my opinion.

Next year, I plan on grafting some Shanxi Li and Ant Admire to my trees. My Honey Jar grafts held up this year, but no fruit.

This post was edited by AJBB on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 19:37

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jujube Harvest

Thanks for the lovely photos.
Did not know that there are so many varieties of Jujubes.
Would like to see photos of your trees please.
Will it be possible to send some seeds please.

Durai

o
RE: Jujube Harvest

Thanks so much for the post. It is great to learn more about these interesting trees, from a first-hand source.

Jujube is quite adaptable, since it can take the cold as well as heat. Jujubes are a regular at the farmer's market here in Santa Fe, and I've planted a Li (which was tiny initially and has struggled to grow well) and a sugarcane (which has done better and flowered profusely but no fruit yet).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here