Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Granny Smith help to many apples, hurting tree

Posted by hcoffman none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 19:33

I just bought a house last year and on the land it had to granny apple trees. Well last year they did not produce very much at all, so i made sure to pull off all the apples that did bloom and water it really good throught the spring. Both of them bloom alot this year and i did not even notice at first cuz i had a lot going on this summer, went out for a walk to see my trees and them have way over produce so much the branches are bent over and touching the ground some of the branches are spitting off from the trunk. My trees are in bad shapeand the apples are not full ripe yet so what do i do?? i know nothing about this i'm a city girl. I think some of the problem is i did not prune the tree last year cuz i did not know i needed to. so any help would be great!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Granny Smith help to many apples, hurting tree

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 20:19

Your trees are in a cycle of biennial bearing caused by not thinning. Next year they'll hardly bloom again because they weren't thinned this year.

Prune out the damaged wood this winter. If it only blooms lightly next year you can leave all the apples mostly to try to pull out of the two year cycle. If it sets quit a bit, leave apples spaced about 8 inches apart next year. And most importantly thin heavily and early the next year it has a big bloom, probably 2015.

It's too late this year to help anything besides breakage of the tree. Thin off enough to spare the tree any more damage.

o
RE: Granny Smith help to many apples, hurting tree

Granny Smith tend to hang on the branch ends and go right to the ground on the lower branches. Obviously this is not ideal but it is the nature of this tree. I don't know where you are located, but they also ripen very late, even into November. One thing you could do to help is to keep the fruit close to the main trunk, where the branches are more stout and can support the weight. Maybe remove the fruit that is right on the branch tips, especially the branches that are very thin and lanky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here