Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
callery rootstock for z5 MI?

Posted by cousinfloyd NC (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 19:36

My mother-in-law lives in Michigan, and a neighbor of hers has a pair tree of which she'd like a clone. If I graft a scion from that tree onto the callery seedlings that grow wild here in North Caroilna, can I plant one of those seedlings in zone 5 Michigan just a little north of Lansing (in the middle of the lower peninsula) and will it be a good rootstock there? Is there a better rootstock to use there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: callery rootstock for z5 MI?

From the book, I'd say not worth it. Betufolia would be risky enough.

She could bury the root stock as New England growers used to do with quince centuries ago. Add an airy mulch and it would probably work.

o

HM, when you say "bury the root stock," do you mean to go ahead and use a root stock not so suited to z5 but bury the graft so the root stock remains more protected underground? Would the scion grow its own roots in that case? Would those roots eventually form most of the roots of the tree? Could the tree be buried a little deeper or should dirt be mounded up above grade to cover the rootstock? Thanks!

What would I use for root stock if I wanted to just go by the book? Could I grow such root stocks inexpensively from seed? What would be the most economical way to buy such root stocks already big enough to graft?

o

You could grow suitable rootstocks from pear seeds or purchase rootstocks from a reliable nursery- I don't know much about this part of it as I don't do my own bench grafts- In my nursery I start with grafted trees and add second varieties usually when I graft trees for sale.

In Tukey's classic book about dwarf fruit trees he mentions that quince was used by some growers in New England as early as the 16th century, I believe. They would bury the trees a few inches below the graft union- presumably trees would eventually root, but would have the precocity of a quince rooted pear. Once a tree starts fruiting- that in itself can be quite dwarfing.

I believe burying the rootstock could be stressful to a young tree, especially in heavy soils and I don't know the math of how deep it would need to be buried to get how much protection.

Yes, it is also helpful to mound up soil to pull back during the growing season. I protect roses that way and used to do the same with Betufolia rootstock here in the northeast until finding that I wasn't loosing trees with an exposed union.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here