Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drasaid

Mulberries-when do they start to fruit?

drasaid
11 years ago

Some time ago, i sent some rooted figs and rose cuttings to a person for some mulberry cuttings. I had been informed they were Pakistan mulberry cuttings. So I plant them, baby them, and now they are two trees, five feet high, and have not yet flowered or fruited. I gave some away, no idea about them. However, these have not done jack. Anyone know how long I must wait? How long until I am sure I've had flowering mulberry pawned off on me? This IS the person who thought poke was malabar spinach (someone sent me the seeds and I had never seen either one) and got a family member sick as all git out, so tell me, I can handle the humilieation. Just tell me already. I suppose I could graft something on them .. . dang.

Comments (9)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

How long have you had these trees? I would say probably three years is a good average to begin bearing for a grafted or cutting grown tree, probably more like 5 for seedlings.

It will depend on cultural conditions, too. If they have grown to five feet tall in their first season, I would say conditions are good for them. If, OTOH, these are four or five years old and they are only five feet tall, something might be wrong with the site or other environmental/cultural factors, and that could have a negative impact on fruiting.

Bottom line, if they are relatively young and growing well, I'd give them a few more years. If you've had them four or five years, something is possibly or probably wrong, and not necessarily the fault of the sender. However, you won't know for sure until either they fruit OR you decided it's been so long that it's hopeless.

Good luck.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

It depends on how old tree the cuttings came from. A friend of mine gave me a air layed Illinois Everbearing mullberry this spring. It was only 3-4" stick. I got two large mullberries on it 12" long new branch this summer.
    It also depends on varieties. The cutting may take longer to fruit. So don't toss it out yet.

{{gwi:123298}}

• strawberryjohnjohn
    11 years ago

Did you know that male mulberry trees do not fruit? I started 25 trees from seed. After 5 years I found only 6 out of the 25 were females that produced fruit. Good luck, JOHN

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

John, This is very interesting!! I have never heard that Mulberry tree has male/female. I have heard gingle trees are F/M separate. How do you tell them apart? I have quite few mulberry trees growing in my yard planted by birds, don't know if M or F. I figured if it is in good location, I will use it as root stock; if it is not in a good location, I just chop it off. If I graft some other mulberry, will male tree support the scion and fruits?

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

John, This is very interesting!! I have never heard that Mulberry tree has male/female. I have heard gingle trees are F/M separate. How do you tell them apart? I have quite few mulberry trees growing in my yard planted by birds, don't know if M or F. I figured if it is in good location, I will use it as root stock; if it is not in a good location, I just chop it off. If I graft some other mulberry, will male tree support the scion and fruits?

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

Here in San Jose there are many male Mulberry trees planted as shade trees. Most people hack them back to a few stumps off the trunk every year and they explode in the spring.

I saw a video of a guy who was grafting these male shade mulberry trees with scions of fruiting mulberries. He claims it works (he is in So Cal). Can't seem to find a link to the video, sorry.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

I've read that the male Russian Mulberry is used a lot as root stock.So I think most likely a graft will work in your situation,olympia gardener. Brady

• dhmeridian1
    11 years ago

My mulberry blooms every time it has a new flush of leaves. That is every time I cut it back.