Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
persimmon for Austria (which one and where from?)

Posted by cousinfloyd 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 19:52

A friend of mine in Austria (near Linz) just bought his first house, and I think I'd like to buy him a persimmon tree, so I have two questions.

One, which variety should I buy for him? Trouble-free is my first priority. Which native (D.v.) varieties are most assured to set fruit without a pollinator? I've also thought about 'rosseyanka.' What thoughts would you all have? I think I've seen posts before from persimmon growers in Slovakia and Hungary on this forum, and I'd be especially interested in your recommendations.

Secondly, who sells persimmons in or to Austria? I have no idea what nurseries there are in central Europe or whether shipping within EU states is any trouble. I imagine if I limit my nursery options strictly to Austria I may not find anything. Any recommendations for a nursery?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: persimmon for Austria (which one and where from?)

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 20:00

I can tell you this is probably Zone 6, so yes, Nikita's Gift or american persimmon. Given geography I would check german and czech nurseries too, they will be closer to Linz than most Austrian nurseries.

o

Floyd - Sepp Holzer grows sweet cherries, grapes and even lemons up in the mts near stralzburg. 1500m above sea level. I wouldnt be surprised if perssimon would make it there.

o

I am a persimmon grower in the Czech Republic. My nursery is located about 100 km north from Vienna. Currently stock nearly 20 varieties of the american persimmon and some hybrids as well. Contact me if interested.

o

Harbin, I sent you a direct message. Thank you again.

I'd be interested in variety recommendations from others, too, though.

Can anyone comment on the ability of native (D.virginiana) persimmons to set fruit without male pollinators? Are some cultivars better in this respect than others? Anyone have any information about Juhl, in particular?

I'm thinking my friend would also probably like a tree with the healthiest looking leaves possible. Any recommendations for a cultivar that would look especially nice? I'm not really asking about exceptional fall color or anything like that so much as a cultivar that just tends to look exceptionally healthy in comparison to other cultivars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here