Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apples way early this year

Posted by axel_sc z9b/Suns16 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 19:53

I am growing about 800 varieties of apples here in Santa Cruz, and this year, I am experiencing an unusually early apple season. We just made it to August first, and here is what has ripened so far that is supposed to be much later:

Erwin Bauer - normally early Sept
Minister Von Hammerstein - normally October
Jacob Fisher - early Sept
mollie's delicious - normally Aug 25
Alkmene - mid Sept
Alexander - late Sept

The German apples are usually much earlier here than adertised, but this is really early.

I am absolutely puzzled by this. I am eating high quality, delicious and crisp Fall apples in the middle of Summer. What's even more bizarre is that the usual Summer apples are ripening at their usual time. Viking, William's pride, and so on are just about done. Summer treat is just getting going. Gravensteins are just starting.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apples way early this year

Well, Cali is a whole 'nother ball game from the temperate climates, but everyone here in the Midwest/Great Lakes has an extraordinarily early season. Most crops are running 3-4 weeks ahead of schedule. We had a week of 80 to 90 degree weather in March, when it would be quite "normal" to have snow on the ground and temps in the low 30s for highs. That just threw everything off.

I think the world has gone crazy, and bizarre weather is only going to get worse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here