o
pollinator for Mutsu (Crispin) apple

Posted by steve_in_los_osos CA 10a/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 20:15

Will Hawaii work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pollinator for Mutsu (Crispin) apple

From a little online research, I think so.

Mutsu is a triploid variety and will not pollinate itself or other apples, and is listed as being in 'pollination group 3' which gives an idea of when the flowers are blooming (I believe there are 4 groups for apples - early, early-mid, late-mid, late), and generally apples within one group of each other have some overlap in blooming time and can pollinate each other to some degree (unless they have sterile pollen like the triploid varieties)

Below is a link to an online resource at Orange Pippin that lets you check pollination partners for apples. Unfortunately it does not list Hawaii. However, a quick online search showed that Hawaii is listed in the Stark catalog as in group 4 (although 'no longer offered'), and Hawaii is not triploid, so I assume it would pollinate Mutsu but not vice versa.

I do not know how Mutsu does in your climate with respect to chill hrs. I know that I have had it from orchards in MD and PA and NY where it was very good, but I have a Mutsu tree that seems to be a real bug and disease magnet compared to my few others and it oversets most years and would benefit from better thinning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Pippin apple pollination checker

o

here is the link to the Stark catalog listing for Hawaii:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaii apple

o

Golden Delicious does a very good job for me. My Mutsu bears a beautiful crop every year. Al

o

Thanks for the info! I missed that Hawaii reference in the Stark catalog. I've been through Orange Pippin and all the other on-line pollination references but never saw Hawaii mentioned, as you noted.

Golden Delicious is not known for doing well here whereas I do know of growers who have had luck with Hawaii so I'm leaning toward that with fingers crossed. Fuji is an obvious choice, but again is difficult here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here