Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone getting Asian Pears yet?

Posted by sharppa 6/PA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 20:17

I'm in eastern PA (Lehigh Valley) and these pears are off my 4 in 1 Asian Pear tree. I think they are Shinseiki but I'm not sure. This is the tree I've had trouble with the past two years...leaf spotting last fall and no good fruit and this spring pear leaf blister mites. I'm hoping to get some good fruit this fall but the leaf spotting appears to be starting again.

I had one pear drop 2 days ago and it was mealy and not sweet. One of the pears in the picture was okay texture but really bitter skin. And a 2nd one was actually quite nice...crisp and a bit sweet. I think I like the later varieties better though.

From my records, we are a little earlier than 2 years ago when I got more fruit around the 20th. I'm not sure about last year with the disease/pest problems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone getting Asian Pears yet?

I tried my first shinseiki yesterday. It was definitely good, but I suspect the others might get even better if I leave them a little longer. I would assume the same variety would ripen noticeably later in Pennsylvania, but I really have no idea.

o
RE: Anyone getting Asian Pears yet?

Not yet. Hosui just fruited this year. I can't remember when I picked Shinko. It's some time in Sept. 20th Century in mid/late Sept. Korean Giant late Sept/early Oct. (some years mid Oct.).

Also, sometimes when squirrels started taking them, I just picked so I could have some.

Of all 4 varieties: KG has no problem (knock on wood). Fruit is large and tasty. Shinko is resistant to fire blight but has some leave problem (some turned yellow with green veins.) My guess is some virus. Fruit is bland in my climate. 20th Century gets some fire blight. Fruit is small and not as sweet as KG. Fruit cracks easily after a dry period followed by rain. Hosui is a headache for me. It gets both fire blight and leave virus. (or it could be mineral deficiency).

I have streptomycin for fire blight but can't remember where I keep it. This year, it's very hot and humid. Fire blight galore. I'll be ready with my streptomycin next year.

Copper spray during dormant season is to prevent specific bacteral diseases on peaches and other stone fruit. I don't think it's for fire blight.

However, since it does not hurt and I have leftover so I spray it on my pears anyway!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here