Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtburton_gw

Blackberry Virus?

jtburton
10 years ago

IâÂÂm trying really hard not to be a âÂÂgarden hypochondriacâ but I also donâÂÂt want a significant investment in money and effort to go down the drain by letting sick plants hang around and infect the berry patch. Other than fungal leaf spots, most of the blackberries and raspberries seem to be doing fine. The one exception is my Kiowa blackberries. The Kiowas grew pretty well this year but now I have a couple of plants with leaves that are turning red early, which I recall happened last year too. I noticed that on several of the dying leaves, small ringspots are present. I have tried to research these symptoms and there are several common blackberry viruses (e.g. Tomato & Tobacco ringspot viruses and the Impatiens necrotic spot virus) that present this way. Could this be an environmental cause due to all of the rainfall and cool weather this year - I just donâÂÂt know. IâÂÂd hate to pull up several productive, large blackberry plants but I fear the worst if I donâÂÂt. Anybody have any blackberry virus experience they would like to share?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner