Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grapes--two harvests

Posted by dannyb_md (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 20:38

I planted a grapevine (Seyval Blanc, this was an impulse purchase and planting) last year. It grew like gangbusters, and even gave me a few bunches of grapes this summer. Just about when I picked them, I noticed more grapes suddenly appeared. There seem to be quite a few immature bunches starting up, suggesting I will get a second (and larger) harvest, provided there is enough time before the fall for them to ripen. Is this usual? I can't find anything anywhere about this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grapes--two harvests

Danny:

It's not unusual but usually it takes pruning to force those later fruits. Usually the late fruits are smaller berries, smaller clusters, tighter clusters, and they don't get as sweet if ripening is delayed until cool weather.

Mid season pruning forces some of the buds that would have provided next years crop. So those late clusters are really next years crop come early. But it shouldn't reduce next years crop. A grape vine has plenty of fruit buds.

o

Thanks for the response. This is very helpful to know. It's odd, because I didn't do any mid-season pruning. I'm just letting it grow (which it is, with a vengeance).

o

• Posted by bencjedi 6 - Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 14:28

I've got a vine that does this too. I was propagated by burial-snip from the main plant more than 2 years ago. For whatever reason the fruit on it matures about 2 weeks behind the main vines on the original plant. It gives me a little break with making jellies and wine as I don't need to pick everything at once before the wasps start poking holes in the fruit to drink the sweet juices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here