Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_taggart

Yes, another paw paw thread

m_taggart
11 years ago

I'll try to keep it brief, because i am asking for a diagnosis. I planted two paw paw trees in early March of this year. They came in 3 gallon pots and were quite healthy when they went in the ground. I amended the holes with bagged compost only then mulch with bagged compost. I kept both well watered and weed free.

Come mid June the one paw paw began to show signs of stress. Leaves yellowed, starting at the margins and turned to a crispy brown. This happened very slowly. The plant doesn't seem bad enough that it will die, but it looks very bad in comparison to the other.

The two plants are nearly identical except for two conditions worth noting. I planted the stressed paw paw in the same spot where I had dug out a dying sweet gum tree. I used a maddock and removed all of the stump. There should be very little of that tree remaining. Second, something is making small holes in the earthen mound in which this paw paw is planted. I am able to poke my finger in some spots and find large voids just underneath the soil surface it is almost Ike mole holes, but there are no tunnels and the voids below the surface seem lare, I.e. I cannot fill them to overflowing with a garden hose.

That's pretty much it. One looks great, the other looks terrible. And they're about 8-10 feet apart. Here's some pics.

{{gwi:123370}}

{{gwi:123371}}

{{gwi:123372}}

{{gwi:123373}}

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus