Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisconsin Balmer peach source

Posted by chervil2 z5 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 20:43

A few years ago I purchased from Henry Fields a Wisconsin Balmer peach to join my Reliance Peach tree. The Wisconsin Balmer has been a great performer and the peaches taste better than Reliance and do not turn brown upon cutting. I want to purchase another Wisconsin Balmer peach and learned that Henry Fields no longer sells this tree. I tried to do cuttings and they all died. My one Wisconsin Balmer peach is an old tree now and may not live another year.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisconsin Balmer peach source

I found your post interesting and did a little searching. I found that it is also called "McKay"
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Growing+peaches+&+cherries+in+zone+4B-a015881813

This page listed a source at McKay Nursery Company:
http://www.mckaynursery.com/Plant.asp?Sub=91&TypeID=0&PlantID=1

Now I want one for myself, but I doubt if they ship.

o
RE: Wisconsin Balmer (McKay) peach source

Wallace Woodstock has the McKay peach and they do ship!

http://www.wallace-woodstock.com/peachtrees.htm

o

Thank you very much for the interesting and very helpful information. I will order more trees soon.

o

I actually talked to the guy at Woodstock Nursery. He said that this peach tree the McKay is hardier than reliance ( it also had a steeper price on it)

I am just wondering if you found it hardier than your reliance tree? The guy told me that it has produced peaches in his Zone 4A. I am glad to here that the taste is better than reliance. I almost bought one this year, but I just didnt want to spend the money since I live in marginal peach country.

o

In marginal hardiness zones like mine I have taken advantage of microclimates. My peach trees are planted on a hillside facing southwest. While surrounding fields have had heavy frosts in mid-May, my flowering peach trees have always produced fruit. Often winter temperatures dip below minus 10 degrees. However, the cold air settles at the bottom of the hill and there is oftern a large temperature spread on cold winter mornings. I find microclimates easiest to observe by studying snow melting patterns. If I am going to go to all the trouble to grow peach trees I should like the taste of the fruit. Fruit from my one Wisconsin Balmer tree has tasted much better than Reliance.

o

I have both Wisconsin Balmer and McKay producing peaches in my yard right now. The trees a slightly different with the McKay being a few days behind in maturity and having a more yellow skin compared to Wisconsin Balmer. Both trees have fine quality fruit. I am still hoping to generate more Wisconsin Balmer plants from cuttings. Sadly, I have been unable to root any over the years.

o

Chervi,

Just last week, there was a post about grafting on a peach tree. It's a long post. If you don't want to read all, skip to the end, they discussed in detail how to chip budding. I attached the link to that post below.

By all accounts, grafting peach is a lot harder than grafting apple or pear. You can also google YouTube on peach chip budding.

I don't know if you can do cutting from fruit trees. Cutting seems to work well with softer wood like pomegranates or figs. I doubt if it'd work with peach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafting to a mature peach tree

o

chervil2,

You may be the only one left with an actual Wisconsin Balmer. I was quite sure by the description that it was the McKay. Very interesting! You may need to become a propagator and sell them.

I was going to purchase a McKay but have found that my yard will support zone 6 peaches so I haven't needed the hardiness. I'd love to get budwood and make a tree for my aunt in Iowa, though.

o

I am very interested in preserving the Wisconsin Balmer and hope that the forum participants can help me in that cause. Please contact me if you are interested in obtaining cuttings for grafting. I can ship priority. If you are nearbye, we can make arrangements for a visit.

o

Folks, the Balmer peach is significantly different than the McKay, with the McKay being much more like the Reliance and the Balmer being much more like real good peaches, but not as hardy as the former 2. We have had good luck with green tip grafting peaches onto seedlings, but only if the temperature is above 80F. Now a days we dig up the seedlings and put them in the greenhouse where it is always above 80 and have very good success. We have 10 or so Balmers in various stages of maturity (you need to renew peaches very 8 years or so in the north, which gives you 5 years of production), so we always have new ones starting.

Eric

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 14:43

I've had good luck T budding peaches. 90% success if both scion and rootstock are slipping well.

Now would be a good time to do it but you need a rootstock. I T bud peaches here in May, force them after two weeks, and get good growth that year. In shorter season areas they are often budded now and forced next spring.

o

fruitnut,

I happen to have a few peach rootstocks, compliments of squirrels stashing my prized peachs a few years back! When you say, "forced next spring", I assume you mean cutting the top of the tree off above the graft?

o

Inspection of a few of my grafts does not look promising. I know at least 2 dessicated and 1 was broken off. I am quite disappointed but I still want to try.

I ran across a youtube of peach grafting "side grafting" which I thought was interesting. Does anyone else have any peach grafting videos they can recommend?

I also found this one that is really interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYUcBoAsWRk

It looks so easy in the videos:(

Here is a link that might be useful: Straight and Side Graft, Grafting trees in the Bella Viva Orchards

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 17:24

o

MH, great video, thanks! Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here