o
Rootstock question

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 20:48

What kind of tree is:

Lovell

Citation

The apple semi-dwarf M series

How can I find out? I have searched the web to not much avail. Thanks. I have a stump of Lovell that is sending up suckers like crazy. Thinking of keeping the stump for grafting next spring. Thanks. Mrs. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rootstock question

Lovell is peach
Citation is plum/peach

At least in my beach sand soil, i prefer Citation so far...have had 0 issues with it...also very hardy.

o

Hi MrsG47.

These are both rootstocks used for almonds and stonefruit. Check out the chart at this link (below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Rootstock chart.

o

Citation rootstock is a peach-plum hybrid, patented as "4-G-816". Here is the patent description, http://www.freepatentsonline.com/PP05112.html

http://www.davewilson.com:8080/product-information-general/rootstock/peach-plum-hybrid

o

I now have a better understanding of how rootstocks should perform, but are any of them fruitful on their own? Thanks, that was really my question, just not well placed. Mrs. G

o

Thanks all, and marknmt, what a great chart. I book-marked it immediately. Thanks again

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 1:16

Lovell was once a canning peach (we are talking 100 years ago). I'm sure it will be small, but it may be quite tasty.

Citation and the Malling series were bred strictly for their performance as a rootstock and so probably wouldn't produce very high quality fruit.

I've read opinions from some people who have fruited some of the Malling rootstocks and have mentioned the fruit is OK, but never any high praise.

o

I did notice that some Marianna rootstock I have set fruit, but I trimmed off that part when I budded apricot to it and don't know what it might have turned out to be.

Nanking cherry is a tolerable fruit in its own right and serves as a dwarfing rootstock to plum. Quince is often used as a rootstock for pear, and of course crab apples can be topworked into regular apples.

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here