Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We have a hazelnut!

Posted by jollyrd Richmond VA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 20:57

I had a happy delight moment that I wanted to share -- we saw a couple hazelnut sets on the hazelnut tree! We only have two and one is twice smaller than the other one, which always gave me a concern. But alas, the larger one is showing two sets of two hazelnuts! The larger tree is about 4-5 feet tall and always appeared to be very healthy, developing a nice set of branches. The smaller tree is about 3 ft. I can't wait to taste the actual fruits! There were not too many fruit on either of our apples, cherries, or vegetables garden, so this one is especially important.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We have a hazelnut!

Wonderful!..Watch the squirrels, they take them before ripe.

o

That is great and a wonderful feeling! I would like to grow hazelnuts as well. Which two varieties do you have? Tree or shrub varieties? Can you take a picture? Thanks, Mrs. G

o

Both of them are the same - American Filbert, and we got the saplings from Edible Landscaping in Afton, VA. Planted at the same time, same soil and sun conditions, same pruning, treated the same way - but for some reason one grew twice faster than the other. I think they are tree varieties. I will check my purchase papers and post pictures.

Squirrels will have to pass the "dog fence", LOL. Those "free" adopted dogs are working for their living, shower and bacon grease.

o

I was visiting my niece in Thunder Bay last week and when we were outside I remarked how many hazlenut shrubs she had. She has been there for 20+ years and had no idea what they were. Quite a good crop too . But of course the squirrels will get them all.

o

I would like to know the name of the hazelnut trees/shrubs that do not need a pollenizer; can you fill me in? American? Don't know it where did you buy it? Thanks, Mrs. G

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 19:13

I think the original poster meant that they were "the same" in that they both are unselected seedlings, but genetically distinct from one another.

So they would serve to pollenize each other.

o

Mrs G, you might contact your state game and parks or wildlife division or Usda conservation division. They are commonly used in wildlife plantins. I can buy 25 for $18.75. Thick shellnut meat small pea size.

o

Thanks Bruce. I am interested in the European varieties.

o

Consider the newer varieties from Oregon, as they're immune to EFD.
Jefferson. Yamhill, theta, etc. I got mine at England's and they were nicer than the others I've gotten elsewhere, and cheaper.
Noogy

o

Yes, do not get any hazelnut that is not listed as being immune to filbert blight if you are not on the west coast - that disease will wipe your trees out in a few years if not. I think the American types are OK and that is how they are making the Euro ones immune, by crossing with American ones to make an immune hybrid. I got some of the Oregon varieties from Burnt Ridge that were also excellent quality. Ones from Raintree were more variable in quality.

Filberts pretty much died out as a tree to plant in the east, but with these new blight-immune cultivars people should start planting them again. Same thing for chestnuts.

Scott

o

well, I was incorrect about the source of the trees -- it was from Gurneys, two identical American Hazelnut Tree. This is the only one they sell:

http://gurneys.com/american-hazelnut-tree/p/79468/

They were shipped in February 2009 as saplings, so today they are 4 years old.

Here is what I found about polination needs:
http://www.gardenguides.com/131726-pollination-hazelnut-trees.html

I might contact Edible Landscaping and order one other variety from their selection.

o

Sounds like Santiam and Yamhill are the way to go! Thanks Noogy. Mrs. G

o

Demand is up in China for hazelnuts. As a result, some grass seed acreage in Oregon is being replanted in hazelnuts.

o

I have a few American hazelnuts that I got a few years ago from Arborday.org . They have not borne any nuts yet This year they had catkins and little female flowers. When should I be able to tell if nuts are forming? I do not know what to look for, but there is nothing at present that looks like it would get bigger and be a nut.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here