Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jollyrd

We have a hazelnut!

jollyrd
11 years ago

I had a happy delight moment that I wanted to share -- we saw a couple hazelnut sets on the hazelnut tree! We only have two and one is twice smaller than the other one, which always gave me a concern. But alas, the larger one is showing two sets of two hazelnuts! The larger tree is about 4-5 feet tall and always appeared to be very healthy, developing a nice set of branches. The smaller tree is about 3 ft. I can't wait to taste the actual fruits! There were not too many fruit on either of our apples, cherries, or vegetables garden, so this one is especially important.

Comments (14)

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Wonderful!..Watch the squirrels, they take them before ripe.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

That is great and a wonderful feeling! I would like to grow hazelnuts as well. Which two varieties do you have? Tree or shrub varieties? Can you take a picture? Thanks, Mrs. G

• jollyrd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Both of them are the same - American Filbert, and we got the saplings from Edible Landscaping in Afton, VA. Planted at the same time, same soil and sun conditions, same pruning, treated the same way - but for some reason one grew twice faster than the other. I think they are tree varieties. I will check my purchase papers and post pictures.

Squirrels will have to pass the "dog fence", LOL. Those "free" adopted dogs are working for their living, shower and bacon grease.

• beegood_gw
    11 years ago

I was visiting my niece in Thunder Bay last week and when we were outside I remarked how many hazlenut shrubs she had. She has been there for 20+ years and had no idea what they were. Quite a good crop too . But of course the squirrels will get them all.

• murkwell
    11 years ago

I think the original poster meant that they were "the same" in that they both are unselected seedlings, but genetically distinct from one another.

So they would serve to pollenize each other.

• bruce2288
    11 years ago

Mrs G, you might contact your state game and parks or wildlife division or Usda conservation division. They are commonly used in wildlife plantins. I can buy 25 for $18.75. Thick shellnut meat small pea size.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Thanks Bruce. I am interested in the European varieties.

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Consider the newer varieties from Oregon, as they're immune to EFD.
    Jefferson. Yamhill, theta, etc. I got mine at England's and they were nicer than the others I've gotten elsewhere, and cheaper.
    Noogy

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Yes, do not get any hazelnut that is not listed as being immune to filbert blight if you are not on the west coast - that disease will wipe your trees out in a few years if not. I think the American types are OK and that is how they are making the Euro ones immune, by crossing with American ones to make an immune hybrid. I got some of the Oregon varieties from Burnt Ridge that were also excellent quality. Ones from Raintree were more variable in quality.

Filberts pretty much died out as a tree to plant in the east, but with these new blight-immune cultivars people should start planting them again. Same thing for chestnuts.

Scott

• jollyrd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well, I was incorrect about the source of the trees -- it was from Gurneys, two identical American Hazelnut Tree. This is the only one they sell:

http://gurneys.com/american-hazelnut-tree/p/79468/

They were shipped in February 2009 as saplings, so today they are 4 years old.

Here is what I found about polination needs:
    http://www.gardenguides.com/131726-pollination-hazelnut-trees.html

I might contact Edible Landscaping and order one other variety from their selection.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Sounds like Santiam and Yamhill are the way to go! Thanks Noogy. Mrs. G

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Demand is up in China for hazelnuts. As a result, some grass seed acreage in Oregon is being replanted in hazelnuts.

• jonijumpup, Mich Z5
    10 years ago

I have a few American hazelnuts that I got a few years ago from Arborday.org . They have not borne any nuts yet This year they had catkins and little female flowers. When should I be able to tell if nuts are forming? I do not know what to look for, but there is nothing at present that looks like it would get bigger and be a nut.