Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stepped on a watermelon, will it be alright?

Posted by USSPython IL (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 21:33

I'm currently growing some icebox (sugar baby) watermelons. I was watering and I backed up a bit too much and stepped on one of the melons. It's about the size of my fist and there isn't any apparent damage as of yet. Will the watermelon still grow alright? This is the largest of the 4 that are currently growing on the plant so I'd be disappointed to see it gone. Also, on the same plant, one of the shoots has 2 melons growing on it, in somewhat close proximity to one another. Should I clip the smaller one in order to let the older one grow more? The smaller one appears to have just started recently while the older one has been growing for at least a week or two.

TL;DR Will the watermelon I stepped on (lightly) be alright if it appears to be fine?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stepped on a watermelon, will it be alright?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 22:06

It doesn't take much to damage a small watermelon. Check it in a week or so and if it still looks alright it's probably OK. My experience is with hail damage. Any dent or mark in the outer rind usually causes the fruit to rot as it nears maturity.

o

Not sure what to say about the stepped-on melon, you'll just have to watch it and see if there is any damage that causes it to rot. As for the melons growing close to each other, they will be fine. Here's a pic from my melon patch last year around this time, both of these grew bigger (I think they ended up touching each other) and ripened and were deliciious!
 photo Sep213DoubleMelon.jpg

o

As long as you didn't crack the rind you should be ok. I had some insects dig at my watermelons when they were small. The insects (or chipmunk, not sure) took some pretty good digs out the rind, but luckily it wasn't too deep. They scared over and grew ok.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here