Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting

Posted by TomAndJerryGardener none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 21:37

Is there any way to graft a orange tree so that it grows in Kansas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting

Some talk about using special rootstocks to confer cold hardiness has you wondering, huh? Unfortunately the answer to your question is absolutely no... However, growing potted citrus, as well as experimenting with protected in-ground citrus hybrids (some claim certain of these are edible) is possible in Kansas, as in most places.

o

Greenhouse...or inside your home and move them in and out. I have pictures of huge grapefruit on trees in Madison, WI but those were grown inside a greenhouse (i've also seen bananas fruiting and papayas with fruit at the same place)... Its easily possible, its just how much time and energy do you want to put into it...?

o
RE: Grafting Citrus for Cold Tolerance

Using a cold tolerant rootstock might give you a bit of an edge. Yuzu is one of the hardier that I know of.

But more than grafting, there is so much that can be done with climate bending. Sepp Holzer grows citrus in the Austrian Alps, so I'm sure you can do it in Kansas.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.permies.com/t/8424/permaculture/grow-citrus-trees-Brunswick-Canada

o

Most citrus in NA will be grafted to Trifolata rootstock. You wont find a hardier rootstock then that. It can give a slight advantage, but not what most people hope.

IF you do wish to try the regular citrus make sure the kinds you try are hardy anyways (say, some mandarin or meyer lemon). You can try to keep them small and protect them like people protect their palm trees - an insulated box with c9 christmas lights. Ive only ever seen this used for palms, but It makes trachycarpus survive in wisconson.

Loquat can survive some extreme temps. It isnt really a citrus, and will not fruit, but the trees can take up to zone 6 in the right area. You can also look up hybrid kumquots or citrus crosses.

o

Trifoliate orange would stand a decent chance of surviving and fruiting, in-ground, in KS - but few people make the stretch to claim that the fruit is edible.
Certainly a good fruiting variety grafted onto the dwarf 'Flying Dragon' selection of P. trifoliata, maintained in a container would be your best bet - either maintained in a greenhouse or brought indoors during the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here