Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach tree has fallen but trunk still stands

Posted by serkhab none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 21:39

Hello,

I just moved in to a new house 2 months ago and there was nice big peach tree, full of peaches, but after a few weeks of living here half of the tree fell and a week after that a friend was up in the tree picking peaches and the other half fell. However, part of the trunk is still there it stands about 5 feet high, and I was wondering if there is a chance that from the trunk the peach tree will re-grow or should I just buy a new peach tree. The peaches from this tree were very sweet so if anyone knows of any tips to help this one grow back it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to any who reply.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach tree has fallen but trunk still stands

If it was me,...cut limbs clean on the trunk, paint with Doc Farwell's heal and seal, possibly next spring it will push out new branches along the trunk.

o

On a peach you shouldn't cut anything off if you want to have hope of regeneration- which is highly unlikely if there are now no leaves on the tree. If there is any hope it will probably send out some new growth in the next few weeks, but peaches don't reliably send out new buds from old wood.

Peach trees have a short lifespan compared to other fruit trees- some varieties shorter than others and soil type and climate also factor in but it sounds like this peach tree was on last legs and its time to plant another.

o

I wish I could remember who wrote about peach trees being more like tomato plants. He said something to the effect that you can't plant a peach tree and expect to pick the fruit with your grandchildren.

o

Guess that would depend on the age of your children when you plant the tree. I've been feeding my grandson my peaches this weekend.

o

harvestman,

Yeah, after I posted that I thought someone would call me on it:)

o

I have a 25 year old Madison peach that is going as strong as ever- lots of vigorous shoots capable of producing very large peaches. I think in the home orchard certain varieties on certain sites can be productive for at least 50 years here in the northeast.

o

serkhab,

Can you post a picture?

o

You can use the trunk as a rootstock to propagate another peach tree. it is faster than just planting one. One of my fig trees was useless because it's figs never ripen and fall down prematurely. I cut all the branches except a foot of the branches and 4 feet trunk and propagated buds of one of my stars fig trees on it. I am happy it worked and produced sweet eatable figs, I am not an expert and if I can do it ant body can,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here