o
zestar apple tree

Posted by grape-2006 6a so. indiana (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 21:43

Are zestar apples sweet like honeycrisps? Is zestar easy to grow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zestar apple tree

I think that they are as sweet as honeycrisp but I don't think they have the same crispy crunch that honeycrisp does. My zestrar and honeycrisp are both growing at the same pace. Kind of slow, but I am also 2.5 zones colder than you as well.

o

Zestar has similar crispness as Honeycrisp (giant cells that break instead of part while you chew) and is much easier to grow as it performs here in southern NY. I can't remember if it is as crunchy or just similarly so.

By easier, I mean it isn't as likely to get black rot (if that's the rot I so often see on Honeycrisp) and they don't drop early and become tasteless if it's too hot and humid around ripening time.

o

Zestar! trees are easy to grow. They maintain a slender form, don't seem to have any particular disease problems, and produce apples I consider to be better than Honeycrisp. They have a bit more intensity of flavor, sweet with an acid tang. We are enjoying them right now here in SE PA. They are not as crisp as HCrisp, and the flesh seems to melt as you chew. With its apparent merits, I decided to plant 25 of them on our new farming enterprise of 4 acres. Very nice apples that are easy to grow. Ted

o

• Posted by Noogy 6 sw mi (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 9:00

Grandpa's has a sale on them.

o

By the way, I was wrong about them having similar crispness to Honeycrisp and Ted pretty much nailed it with his description. My memory failed me, which I realized when eating them last summer, but I knew it was a really nice apple that is much less fussy than Honeycrisp.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here