Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Nectaplum Harvest

Posted by Bradybb wa8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 21:50

My little tree had a first fruiting this year,about five or six.The taste was so sweet,I was prompted to buy a refractometer.About 21 brix,not bad for this part of the world.Of course,I will use the tool for other things. Brady
 photo Image650_zpsdb89115b.jpg
 photo Image648_zpsc0624b4f.jpg
 photo Image652_zpse96e3e82.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Nectaplum Harvest

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 21:57

Nice, very nice. Thanks for the report!!

How does the flavor compare to your earlier fruit?

o

I have one of these...mine continues to put on new growth. Should have fruit next year. Looks great.

Would u say more nectarines then plum?

o

To me the Nectaplum has a smoother,peach like flavor than the Raspberry Red Nectarine,whose flavor is more complex.I didn't have the refractometer to measure the RR,but the Spice Zee Nectaplum is sweeter.
I'm waiting for a few Fantasia Nectarines to ripen in a couple of weeks. Brady

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 23:39

I'd agree that Spice Zee nectaplum doesn't have a very complex flavor as grown here. It's sweet but not over the top. It's good but not great. Tom Spellman with DWN seems to think it's the greatest advancement in fruit in many yrs. I can't see that based on the fruit. All the other stuff like foliage color, growth, and possible high adaptability don't mean much to me but might to others.

Please give us a brix and report on Fantasia.

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 7:37

Awesome Brady. My Nectaplum had winter kill. The main stem died back, but had viable buds just above graft. Instead of forming a new central leader I used new buds as scaffolds. Which are extremely low! I'm going to spray it with an anti-desiccant this winter. Once it thickens up some, it should be OK. After this winter I don't think I will need to spray it.
So I was set back. I may not get fruit next year, as all growth is from this year. Although this tree can grow fast. It's amazing really.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here