Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ain�t This a Peach?

Posted by mxyplx (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 21:51

Our peach tree used to produce super peaches and lots of em. Well along came curly leaf. I used to spray and take care etc but time took its toll and I gave up and for the last 10-12 years maybe more most of the leaves dropped off and the tree produced 3-5 peaches not worth eating. In fact they usually dropped off or dried up. 5 or 2 years ago the biggest branch dropped off. Last year the 2nd biggest dropped off too. This year the one remaining branch split and hung down. Well there seemed to be a decent crop on board and most surprising of all there was no curly leaf.

Accordingly I propped up the branch and clamped the split together as you can see. Good thing I kept all those clamps all these years. Not only that the tree produced 26 super peaches just like before. You may be able to see a couple still unpicked.

All that thru one split and mostly rotten thread running thru where the clamps are. I will now have to either build a permanent support for that branch or buy another step ladder. The ladder blocks the water from one of the pop-up sprinklers. Gotta watch everything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ain�t This a Peach?

I would let those sprouts by the base grow out, they look like they are above the graft. Once they are big you can chop off that last old limb and get a new looking tree. Peaches can last a very long time if you keep renewing them.

Scott

o

Thanx for the comeback. Where is the graft? I wouldn’t know one if it hit me in the face. :-)

I see some tiny sprouts in the grass about a foot or more from the trunk, are those the sprouts you mean?

I’d sure save the tree if I could but the trunk is hollow and the bark is falling off. The crotch is 28 inches high and I can shove a tape measure down in about 16 inches.

I see there are 4 big branches fallen off or removed - I know 2 fell off and maybe the other 2 died and I cut em off. This tree is about 30 years old. Alberta? I no longer know.

This post was edited by mxyplx on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 20:08

o

The sprouts I was noticing are on the right in your very top picture. They look healthy and look to be coming from above the graft (which will be 2-6" or so off the ground).

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here