Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Killing ants in blueberry bush

Posted by flora2b z6a bc (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 21:52

I have a Allegheny mound ant colony right in the midst of my favorite blueberry bush.
In desperation I used Raid ant colony destroyer, knowing that the ants will kill this bush if I don't get rid of them. This product has a straw which is shoved into the nest and a foam is released into the nest filling all the entrances, etc......it never is on the surface of the ground.
What I'm wondering about is if anyone knows if the roots of the plant will absorb the chemical that is in this foam product?
In retrospect I should have picked the fruit first and then applied this product, then I wouldn't of had to worry about the fruit being okay.
I talked to Johnson & Johnson, who manufactures it and the lady wasn't sure.....you are not to spray it on the plant and fruit, but she wasn't sure about the roots.
Anyone know??
Thanks,
Flora2b

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Killing ants in blueberry bush

I don't know the answer, but last year I had an ant colony in the middle of a pomegranate bush. I posted here about it, and was told to leave it alone since ants rarely cause problems. I did just that, and they never harmed the bush AFAIK.

o
RE: Killing ants in blueberry bush

Ant colonies do indeed kill various plantings at times, such as, blueberries and tomatoes for me. It is quite likely that roots would take up all kinds of things from the soil and go systemic throughout the plant, including several ingredients from your Raid can.
So far there is no known mechanism whereby living creatures such as e-coli can go systemic through root absorbtion, but there aren't many safe guards against chemicals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here