Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb85_gw

pecan tree care

deb85
11 years ago

We moved to central TX property last fall and have several pecan trees. We have one tree that is so laden with pecans that 4 branches broke off last week when we had a little wind. Should we have pruned the tree prior to the time it put on fruit so it would have not been so heavy? We have lived where we had some very large pecan trees but never had to prune them and we had nice pecan crops there.

Comments (4)

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

There a lot native pecan trees in Texas that have different Limb and wood strength. Long and slender limbs need to be prune back so stronger a pruned pecan tree never grow back to same size as before this help to solve wind damage look at size and length of limbs this give an ideal what to do. There a subjection to shake trees to remove some nut just before water stage at nut swell stage this normality in late June water stage starts early July to fill nuts so colonial forums. Starting on young tree use primary bud to developed a tall trunk use secondary buds for limbs to devolve.

On page 53 54 55 56 will show pruning of young tree page 57 show pruning back old tree this down size tree make stronger. The book name is : Pecan Production In The Southeast a guide for growers. This book no longer available but university Georgia has one in link below for 38.00 scroll down to bottom page there ordering info its must have book for pecan growers.

Here is a link that might be useful: pecan growers hand book

• DFlanagan1
    11 years ago

I have several very large pecan trees (14 to be exact) they are well over 50 years old. My question is how high on the base of the trunk should the ground be.. I have 1 Pecan tree that you can see the top portion of the big roots as the go into the ground... all the others have a buildup around the base of the trunk. I don't know if we should dig the ground away from the trunk or not...they produce every other year - I think they are Berkets - a small pecan but very rich in flavor and the meat is very moist... they prune themselves but I am worried that the ground is building up too high on the trees.. any help would be appreciated... This is a central Texas zone. Thanks!

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

Its normal for ground raise around pecan tree thats old sometime this raised ground wash away. Young tree has tape root as tree ages that disappears and forum brace and feeder roots under ground. There are new water roots to replace old tape root they stay smaller than tape on young tree you see this if watch out for all blown over old pecan trees.

You cut tops of limbs down by one half and it never grow back not as tall production come back in three four years. This improves most trees in South Nut size large less change straight damage from wind.

Just some info put nuts in freezer in shell last 2 years that way shelled 9 months.

• DFlanagan1
    11 years ago

so I don't need to worry about the ground rise? - it is almost a foot higher than the trees closer to the house... these trees are around 50 to 60 ft tall... thanks for your help I will take a picture and post it next time.