Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats your favorite strawberry?

Posted by poolecw Georgia 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 21:57

I'm getting ready to order 50 plugs for some fall planting. I'm trying to determine which variety to get so I figured I poll the masses. I'm in northwest GA (straddling the fence on Zones 7 and 8). I want a good June bearing variety that is good for the freezer and good for selling at the farmer's market.

Two varieties I'm looking at are the Sweet Charlie and the Chandler but am open to any others.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats your favorite strawberry?

I'm in CA and Chandler is the best tasting for me and is grown widely in the fields here. I used to love a strawberry called Douglas but can't find it anymore.

o

Quinaults for everbearers, the berries are a bit small, but they pretty much produce non-stop.
Sequoia for june bearing.

I have mine all in containers.

o

My very favorite is Albion, but it's not a June-bearer.

I have Sweet Charlie and like him. He's not as prolific as I'd hoped. It tastes very good and is very healthy, just not as vigorous or productive as my others. He's my only named June-bearer. My favorite was given to me by a friend, and I have no idea the variety name.

Other favorites I have: Seascape and Diamante (Diamonte?).

o

My favorite is a day-neutral strawberry called 'Mara des Bois'. It is a berry the size of a quarter or smaller and has the essence of strawberry flavor to me. It bears very well in the spring and the second crop, about now, is smaller but just as delicious. Mrs. G

o

I just started some Chandler and the variety seems to be very vigorous. They survived transplant better than the other variety I started, Cavendish, and have been throwing off runners like mad.

Please tell me where you are getting plugs in 50 quantities for fall planting!

This post was edited by ltilton on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 13:58

o

Itilton- Ison's Nursery is selling plugs for Oct delivery. They are a bit pricey but I hear nothing but great things from them. They are the foremost authority on muscadines.

http://www.isons.com/

This post was edited by poolecw on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 13:02

o

I have a couple of different varieties. The Sequoia is my favorite big strawberry and I have some Mara de bois that are fabulous and some frais de bois that are even more fabulous but the berries are teeny tiny. I also have Tristan which are nice and flavorful and have very pretty fushia pink flowers and then I have quinalt which are good.

I am not knowledgeable enough to say which is June bearing and which is everbearing. I just plant them and away they go!!!

o

Sweetcharlie!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here