Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
picking red currants

Posted by ljpother 3a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 22:05

I just finished picking some red currants. To pick them, I take the string of currants and gently roll them into the palm of my hand. I've seen instructions for clipping the strings and removing the currants after. Why would you do that? I do need to wait for the currants to get fully ripe and lose about a third of the currants on average.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: picking red currants

I always stripped them when picking,..why do you loose a third?

You might have drops from the fruit fly? I do have that problem, all got roundup this spring, ..growing now the more valuable black currants.

o

Konrad,

I think I lose them from just leaving then on the bush too long. I keep hoping they'll get sweeter. My estimate is based on looking at the string and seeing how many empty spots are on the string -- a harsh measure.

o

I find red currants last well on the bush for a week or two and you can wait until the whole truss is ripe before picking. I don't cut the trusses - they come off easily with an upward tug. Then I pick the whole strig and remove the currants with a fork in the comfort of the kitchen. Black currants are not so easy and I usually end up picking individual berries.

o

I do it the same way as flora. Red currants are always on a tart side, even when fully ripe. No reason to wait after all berries on a string turned red in my opinion. Black currants can be sweet when ripe (depends on the variety), but not red currants.

Olga

o

Ljpother, trusses are rich in jellying agents, so if you are making red currant jelly with no pectin it is better to keep the stems on. If you use pectin or don't make jelly at all, it doesn't make any difference.
I lose quite a bit of fruit to birds too - this year they didn't even wait for them to get red. They don't seem to bother white currants as much - must be the color.
Grow

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here