Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mes111

sweetest blackberries ????

mes111
10 years ago

With all the talk about Drosophila I am moving my blackberry planting project to my place on Long Island to keep them away from my upstate fruit trees.

I would appreciate any suggestions of the sweetest varieties that might span the growing season here.

Thanx
Mike

Comments (8)

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Rather than spanning the growing season, concentrate on early-ripening varieties, as the SWD fly peaks in mid-late summer.

• mes111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Larry:

But I want fresh berries _throughout_ the season and am lucky to have the option of keeping them away from the trees.

Mike

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I think brambleberries are the preferred fruit for SWD. What kind of fruit trees do you have? Good idea to separate them, but that's more to protect the trees than the berries I would think. And if there are any wild blackberries or raspberries around, it's a wasted effort.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Mike you're in zone 6 my zone. Of ones I tried Triple Crown is great. it tastes good to me, and grows fast! Slow to to start, but once it get's going, it grows like crazy. I have 3 or 4 6 foot canes this first year. Also the florocane that came with the plant produced a few berries this year, and I was surprised how big, and good they were. Scott mentions Newberry hybrid, and it sounds interesting. Many also suggest Black Diamond. I want to add these two next spring. Raintree has Black Diamond and Newberry. Triple Crown is all over.
    I have others but cannot comment on them much. Wyeberry is tart, but has a very rich flavor. Unavailable anywhere right now.
    Natchez is rated average. It was a substitute, and I decided to try it instead of canceling. The berries are decent for me, maybe a little sour. It is the most vigorous of all I purchased including Triple Crown. 8 foot canes with 2 foot laterals (I topped it, it still grew to 8 feet). Pinching the top did create many long laterals. Next year I can judge better. Sure is easy to grow! Very upright to!
    I also have Boysenberry, Chester, Navaho, Tayberry, and Loganberry, but fruit is immature or has not produced any this first year.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Good discussion linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 blackberry report

• mes111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanx All for all the info.

AJSMAMA: I have apples, pears, peaches,nectarines, plums, apricots & cherries (68+- all told) enclosed in a 150'x50' enclosure grown espalier method.
    They are at my place upstate and I get there on the weekends to take care. I don't have any wild brambles/ berries anywhere near me (that I can see). I have quite a run along the fence and i was planning to put in blackberries along one side (150 feet) and raspberries along the other.

They would be in right in with the trees and from the recent threads here I don't think its worth risking the tree fruits.

Thanx
    Mike

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

My Ouachita are finally ripe and sweet! I cannot wait until next year (their third year in the ground) and I will have a decent crop to put up. No one told me they are truly huge. They are larger than a quarter, closer to the size of a 50 cent piece. And beautiful. Two in the palm of your hand are like ping pong balls!

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Fresh berries _throughout_ the season is fine; you may not have the option of keeping them away from the flies.