Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Link to Joe Real's Bark Grafting Tutorial

Posted by marknmt 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 22:24

This link should get you to the tutorial, but you'll have to register with the Citrus Growers Forum. I did and have never experienced any problems from it.

After gaining access to the site you'll find links to propagation of citrus, one of which actually is Joe bark grafting a pear. Very thorough, very helpful, nicely done and easy to follow.

That said, bark grafting is, for me, limited. I find that it works better on younger wood and probably better on pear than apple. Maybe I just have a tough old apple and tender wittle pear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joe Real's bark grafting tutorial

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Link to Joe Real's Bark Grafting Tutorial

Agreed. For pear tree branches that have bark that is older, thicker, stiffer, and grayer, I stop at about 1" diameter or thereabouts. And that is only when the branch is actively growing new leaves and thus full of sap that lets the thick bark easily slip away from the core wood. Once the scion is inserted and thus pushes the 2 stiff flaps on either side of the vertical slit upward so they no longer have contact with the core wood, they will not be pulled downward to again make flawless contact with the core wood by wrapping tape tightly around them. Leaving an under-the-flap gap that new tissue will have to fill in. Or not. An opened up desk stapler can be used to firmly staple down both flaps parallel to the scion so that more of the 2 flaps' under surface will resume having flush contact with the core wood. The staples are too dinky to be pushed into harder wood like citrus, but they sure make pear tree bark flaps get snugged up to the thicker/older pear core wood much better than only using tape wrapping. ....Bark grafting on pomegranate branches that are 1" and older can also work OK, but the side of the r/s branch opposite the slit will usually die off to about a 2" "dead bark zone". But the scions on the other side still grow like crazy. Next time I topwork older poms, I will do a bark graft on 2 opposite sides of each branch to hopefully get a better result........When following Joe's practice of slicing very thin strips of very thin bark on the back side of the scions just prior to inserting the scions below the flaps and next to the core wood, I have a difficult time making the very thin slices w/o sometimes going too deep into the already-thin wood. So, instead of slicing, I hold the grafting knife perpendicular to the scion and lightly scrape away the hyper thin bark on both side edges of the scion's wedge point. Just like using a knife blade to scrape the skin off of carrots. No more gouges.....Hats off to Joe Real for his very helpful how-to tutorials.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here