Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving first year Triple Crown blackberries

Posted by joeszy none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 22:33

I had a very small patch of Triple Crown I decided to try to rip out last winter because of space issues. Since then, they've since come back in spades, which has a blessing in disguise because now, I have a brand new trellis all set for them in November.

Right now, they are 6 - 7 feet long and trying to tip-root while I try to keep them from doing so.

I'd like to retain some of this first year growth so they'll produce fruit next year after I move them to their new area, but would like to head back the shoots a bit in meantime to keep them under control. My question is, will doing so encourage horizontal growth similar to what would result when you do a "tipping" on a cane? If so, is it better to leave the canes long and singular and just deal with the mess in the meantime before November? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving first year Triple Crown blackberries

Depends on how many berries you are trying for next year.

Because they are being transplanted yet again, I would advise keeping them as is and pruning them in autumn. Any tip-rooting they do between now and then is easily uprooted and pruned off.

o

Thanks for that info. How much should I prune them back after transplanting and how many canes should I put in each spot? Have wires at 3 and 5 1/2 feet on both side of the trellis. Not hoping for bumper crop, just would be nice to have a few.

This post was edited by joeszy on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 20:25

o

You can keep as much growth as your trellis will support, however, there is a compromise here between retaining most of the growth, gambling that there will be little or no transplant shock, or pruning about half the growth off and allowing for transplant shock--and possibly better growth of next year's primocanes.

If you don't need a lot of berries next year, I would prune by about half. If that leaves dozens of leaf nodes, it will result in hundreds of berries next year. Triple Crown will fruit quite low on the main cane.

o

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here