Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neptune25

Prelude raspberries in the South

neptune25
11 years ago

Has anyone on here ever successfully grown Prelude raspberries in the South? If not, what other varieties would you recommend for the South? (Except for Dorman Red, which are supposed to have very little flavor.) My Taylor raspberry is doing quite well in its very first year.

Comments (8)

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

I like my mysore raspberries very much..thorny though.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, bamboo_rabbit. I'll check them out!

I guess:

thorns = my sore ;)

• neptune25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I looked up Mysore raspberries, and now I have a question, bamboo_rabbit. Will they survive temps below 15 F?

I'm also looking at Baba raspberries, but I'll post a separate thread about that.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

I don't know and hope to heck I never find out. They do fine at the mid 20's. The leaves get burned off but the canes take that cold no problem and leaf and fruit great come spring.

They like to get partial sun....the lit says morning sun but mine get 100% morning shade and sun from about 2:00 to 5:00 and seem to love it.

They are almost 100% pest free.

The only trouble I have with them (other than the vicious thorns) is if our winter is too warm and they think it is spring and start pushing new growth and flowers.....cold then in the sap filled canes will cause them to split and will destroy the Floricanes and you will get no fruit that year. That is not something you will have to worry about.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the additional info, bamboo_rabbit.

• planatus
    11 years ago

If you don't have a primocane like Heritage, I would add one. It's nice to get fall raspberries in years when too much rain hurts the summer ones. The spring crop tastes better than the fall one, but it's still nice to have raspberries in Aug-Sept.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, planatus. I actually do have a Heritage that I planted last year. It's certainly alive, but the leaves got pretty burnt from the hot July. Most of it looks quite raggedy, except for the new growth from the past couple of weeks. And it's not exactly setting the world on fire with fruit either. I got 3-4 berries in June, and now it looks like it's ramping up for several more for next month. But frankly I'm just grateful it's still alive. :)

Maybe there are other everbearing varieties that can take the heat better?

• Ernie
    11 years ago

After experimenting with raspberries here in NC for a few years, I've come to the conclusion that I should focus on varieties that crop early. This year, I had good crops on my Black Hawk, Prelude, Heritage (floricanes that I left standing last fall), and Royalty plants in May and early June. I was really impressed with my rambling patch of Heritage canes. They've never produced a lot of berries on primocanes -- that's why I decided to try for a second-year crop. By contrast, my Heritage, Autumn Bliss, and Caroline primocanes have produced paltry crops so far, in large part, I assume, to a combination of heat and insect pressure (wasps and yellow jackets, primarily). I'll add that virtually all of my plants get morning sun, afternoon shade, and supplemental irrigation in dry weather.