Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Fruits

Posted by epicfruit none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 23:00

A relative of mine received some fruits that we can't seem to identify. I'm pretty sure the one on the right is a mango but I have no idea what the left one is, or if it's some sort of vegetable. Any help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Fruits

looks like a really gnarly cabbage...

o

A mango on the right for sure. The thing on the left looks like a kohlrabi that has fallen off a truck and bounced around on the pavement. Poor thing.

o

I'd say kohlrabi too. They split if they get too old and there's excess water all of a sudden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohlrabi splitting

o

Easy to find out when cutting in half.

o

The fruit on the right, as has been said, is a mango. My guess is that the other fruit is a coconut with the green husk still on. I base that guess on two factors: First, the size of the fruit. Second, its association with the mango as another tropical fruit. You can also see the familiar, brown coconut shell through the cracks of the green husk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan Chadwick

o

Coconuts don't have a tuft of leaves at the top. Plus green coconuts don't look remotely like that. Not to mention that would make the mango enormous.

Not sure what Alan Chadwick has to do with the question.

o

The one on the left looks like -- ed --[ link deleted because of security warning -- I still think it is "Cracked mango (Magnifera indica) fruits affected with mango anthracnose, caused by the plant-pathognic fungus, Colletotrichum gloeosporoides"]

This post was edited by albert_135 on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 17:18

o

The one on the left clearly has a tuft of leaf shoots on the top - so my money is still firmly on kohlrabi. But it would be really helpful if the OP would come back to us with some more information. Cutting it in half would settle it. Or scrunching up some of the sprouts and telling us if they smell of cabbage.

Here is a link that might be useful: kohlrabi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here