Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Position Blackberry/raspberry Patch and Grape Row?

Posted by achang89 Central NJ Z6b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 23:07

I'm setting a enclosed garden area, for both small fruits and vegetables. The area is going to be about 40'x50', with the long side East to West.

Although 50' is long, but I do not think that is wide enough for both grapes and berries. If I'm going to plant one row of grapes and one row of berries, which one should stay back? grapes? The berry plants can get very tall too. I just do not want them to shade each other.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Position Blackberry/raspberry Patch and Grape Row?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 23:31

Grapes need more sun than berries. So I'd put the grapes on the south side. But really neither will be tall enough to shade the other. They can both be kept the same height by choice of trellis height and/or pruning.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 23:32

Sorry duplicate post.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 23:33

o

How much spacing between rows can you afford?

o

I plan to have a total of 40' between the rows. Plan to build the beds 4 to 5' wide with 3-4' path between them. Is this enough?

o

40' between the rows is confusing, that is the dimension of your entire planting area.

If you are going to plant a row of grapes and a row of berries in parallel, each centered in a 4-foot bed spaced by a 4-foot path, there will be 8 feet between the grapes and berries. At that distance, one shading the other during late spring through summer will be minimal, so your plan is fine.

o

I did not say it is 40' between rows. I'll have about 5 rows with a total of 40'. The last row(s) will be grape or/and berries. The front rows will be various vegetables.

o

It is now clear, 5 rows spaced on 8-foot centers, total of 40 feet.

After 16 feet for berry/grape, there would be 24 total feet remaining; for vegetables there could be four 3-foot rows with 3-foot paths, gaining an extra row. Even squashes and melons can be kept within a 3-foot row.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here