Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrgreengenes_gw

Grafting Cydonia oblonga

mrgreengenes
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
I have a 'Bartlett' pear as well as a 'Comice'. Both are grafted onto Cydonia oblonga to dwarf them.

I have grafted 'Bartlett' onto 'Comice' just to see if I could do it and the grafts took.

But a couple of years ago I pruned the 'Bartlett' real hard and it suckered from the root stock. Well I took the opportunity to airlayer the Cydonia rootstock and a few weeks ago I separated it from the tree.

So here I sit with Cydonia oblonga and I'm not sure what to do with it. Should I grow it out to see what the fruit tastes like or should I see if I can graft Asian pears to it?

Comments (11)

• thatadeniumguy
    9 years ago

Someone successfully grafted Pear (Pyrus) onto Apple (Malus) on this forum, if this can be done, the sky is the limit. The pear graft supposedly failed after about 6 years, but managed to produce several worthwhile crop in the meantime. If you know how to graft, why not try something really, really crazy?

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

You could try the Asians pears, or procure scionwood of some of the better culinary quinces and graft them. Orange, Smyrna, Aromatnaya would be cultivars to consider...from what I've heard.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Asian pears are not super reliable grafted on quince or so I have heard. I did do one myself and its still going well after five years. The problem with quince as a stock is it is very variety specific, some pears work on it and some don't. I wouldn't fruit the stock, it will probably not be a very good quince. If you want quince take Lucky's approach.

Scott

• mrgreengenes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your advise. I don't think I'm so adventurist to try grafting just anything for the sake of grafting.

I do like the idea of finding a culinary quince. But where would I find scions since quince aren't readily available?

There probably aren't too many people growing it I'm assuming.

• murkwell
    9 years ago

Quince scions are available from the Clonal Germplasm Repository in Corvallis Oregon.

The curator has gone so far as to make a list of recommended varieties and evaluate relative resistance to common diseases and other traits.

At the Nafex conference currently underway there was a presentation on genetic testing of their accessions. Several appear to be duplicates. Very interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corvallis Quince Collection

• mrgreengenes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I enjoyed the link but on their website they say they don't give away material to the home gardener. Just to research and educational purposes.

I'm sure if I keep lookin I'll find something. Thanks anyway.

• mrgreengenes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just for an update and to talk about how cool gardener's are. I contacted a rare fruit scion exchange club from California. Someone from the club got back to me and said they have a friend in Cincinnati who would be willing to give me some scions this coming winter. Late winter early spring. Now I don't know these people but I think there is a generally good vibe that flows through most gardener's veins to want to help out a fellow enthusiast. Thank you all for your inspiration and friendly discussion.

• skyjs
    9 years ago

Scott is right. Comice is compatible with quince. bartlett is not. Graft bartlet onto comice ok, onto quince no.
    NCGR in COrvallis, OR lists compatible varieties:
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/53581500/catalogs/pyrcompatible.html
    Quince is great because every time you prune it, stick it in the ground. It makes another tree. Then graft it the next year. Graft in winter, bud in summer.
    John S
    PDX OR

• mrgreengenes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

toward skyjs,

So you're saying you can just directly stick Quince cuttings and they will root?

• skyjs
    9 years ago

Absolutely. I've done it, maybe 100 times. I usually slice the bottom 2/3 of the cutting and keep that under ground. I usually do that here in November because our summer is so dry, they wouldn't make it. Maybe there you could do it in September or Spring because I think quince is marginally hardy in Chicago.
    John s
    PDX OR

• mrgreengenes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've had this Bartlett on quince rootstock for going on 7 years. In the winter of 2009/2010 we had temps as low as -25F. It has showed no signs of slowing down. But I do have to say it is planted 8 feet from my house on the edge of my deck. So it is somewhat protected from most of the wind.

I think I'll take some cuttings as soon as the ground thaws in spring and see what happens.

My entire back yard is 40' by 40' and I have no availible space for anymore plants but it will be fun to see if it works for me.

Thanks for the tip.