Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do any of y'all August-prune your cherries?

Posted by meredith_e 7B Piedmont NC (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 23:22

I'm pretty new to most orchard fruits, and I'm still in the first years of my trees. The cherries only went in this past spring :)

I read that August pruning might be good to avoid disease in cherries. My springs here are the worst time for disease, so it sounds like it might be a good idea.

Thoughts?

I do want to promote growth, too, because I'm still trying to get a good tree structure going. It looks like this year they mainly got their roots settled in and didn't grow very much yet. They look healthy, just not doing a whole lot yet. Would spring pruning encourage more growth than pruning now?

I have a sweet cherry, a semi-sweet (standards), and then a Carmine Jewel.

The Carmine Jewel is doing great here (even in the heat) except for some sunburnt leaves at first! I'm not worried about pruning that little guy yet, but I thought I'd tell y'all he looks happy even this far south :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do any of y'all August-prune your cherries?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 23:33

All pruning is dwarfing to some extent. Summer more so than dormant. So pruning at this point would be for tree structure. If you want more branching on cherry head it back next spring. Otherwise train the branches where you want them.

There are more complicated cherry pruning systems. Some very complicated. If you want that you need to read professional instructions. Some of it makes my head spin. But I've grown good cherries without much fuss.

o

I would not prune now, August 1st sure, but now I would be worried about weak growth and the coming winter. I'm a little north of you though. Summer pruning makes a lot of sense, mostly because of fugal diseases. In spring make sure you spray copper after prunning. Both really need to be done. I prune for size in the summer. Structure in the spring.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 0:08

o

I prune in July, after picking, to head back branches that are growing out of my reach.

o

Thanks, y'all! I'll just do the recommended sprays and leave the pruning till after winter. There's not a lot of it to be done on them anyway. I took a good look at them, and they won't need a lot then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here