Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflower and Mango Pawpaws harvest 8-16-12

Posted by tonytran 5 Omaha, NE. (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 23:23

I beat the raccons to harvest my Sunflower and Mango Pawpaws.

Sunflower pawpaw

Mango Pawpaws

Everybody let grow some pawpaws. Benny I think I have enough pawpaw to do a pawpaw fight with you. LOL!!

Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflower and Mango Pawpaws harvest 8-16-12

Tony- Your pictures didn't come through. We want to see!

o

Sorry about Flicker error. I will try to re-insert the photos again.

Please post your Pawpaw photos to celebrate this low maintenance and high quality fruits.

Tony

o

Tony, I wish you didn't live so far, I would go for a visit and help you eat them.

o

How many trees did you harvest from?

o

Benny,

I am stuffed. I cut them in small chunks and use them on ice scream topping and smoothie.

Alex,

These two trees are about 11 yrs old. and i decided to hand pollinated this year and had great fruit sets. I had to prop some of the branches.

Tony

o

I have what is supposed to be Sunflower and it's very far from being ripe here in SE NY. Usually it isn't ready till towards end of Sept. Of course there's no way to tell if the tree is correctly ID'd. It's my best tasting mango and its late ripening makes it that much better for me.

o

harvestman,
Is that your only Pawpaw,Sunflower is suppose to be somewhat self fertile or are there more?If there are more,what's your method of pollinating them? Thanks,Brady

o

Overlease is the other I have. I have noticed at another site that paw paws are somewhat self fertile or at least there is a variety there that is. The same site has a very self-fertile and delicious American persimmon, can't remember what variety but it's Lee Reich's fave.

Pollination doesn't seem to be a problem for me so I assume it happens at night for paw paws. Never see any attendance to flowers during the day.

o

H-man,

Lee R. D. Virginiana was Szukis had both male and female flowers.

Tony

o

The variety is Szukis, now that you mention it, but the fruit is seedless as I recall. I will check that out next time I'm on that site. Good variety for short season areas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here