Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insect Damage to Dwarf Cherry Trees (Zone 6b)

Posted by inv3nt0r none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 23:26

I planted some dwarf cherry trees this spring near Windsor, Ontario / Detroit, MI. Of the three I planted, two are doing very well however the third has been attacked by some sort of unidentified insect from what I can tell.

I sprayed the plant with soapy water a few times and the damage seems to have been halted.

Can anyone identify the damage and suggest a pesticide or other mitigation measure I should take? I am a novice with fruit trees so I don't know where to start.

Thanks, and happy gardening!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insect Damage to Dwarf Cherry Trees (Zone 6b)

Could be sawfly larvae, if so you should find the tiny slug looking things on the leaves. Most any spray should be effective but only if it contacts the insects!

o

I will take a look for the sawfly larvae as suggested and get my hands on something specific for them if I can positively identify them.

I've attached another picture of the damage for reference.

Thanks.

This post was edited by inv3nt0r on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 11:10

o

Japanese beetles like cherry trees. They leave a skeletal pattern on the leaf but some of yours look fully consumed so you might have both Japanese beetles and caterpillars or a larger beetle.

o

Thanks for the further advice. The Japanese beetles have been wreaking havoc in our area this year, so I wouldn't doubt that they got at the tree.

This particular tree was a little bit yellow following transplant while the others stayed a nice dark green. It looks like the insects are much more damaging to a plant in a weakened state.

From what I've read soapy water isn't effective against the beetles but apparently cedar oil can be used as a natural deterrent. I will try it out and hopefully the plant will come back strong next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here