Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomandjerrygardener

Citrus Trees

Can any citrus tree grow in Kansas and bear fruit?

Comments (3)

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Only in a pot brought indoors for the winter.

• steve333_gw
    10 years ago

I have successfully gotten a crop of Meyers Lemons from potted plants at 8300' in the Rockies for several years now. Of course I bring the plants in when freezing weather hits, and over the winter.

If you choose to go this route, you should read up at some citrus forums. There are some "tricks" to moving a potted citrus indoors with minimal stress.

• trianglejohn
    10 years ago

Poncirus trifoliata or Trifoliate Orange is hardy to your zone but the fruit is sour, seedy and very resinous (some people still eat them or make marmalade out of them). It is most often used as a rootstock for less hardy citrus because it has some disease resistance and vigorous growth. There is a contorted form that is very popular called 'Flying Dragon'.

There are new cold hardy citrus being developed every year, most have Poncirus in their heritage and most have that signature tang from it that most people don't like. A big issue here in zone 7b is too much rain/snow in the winter - the plants shut down when the temps fall below 50 degrees and tend to rot when things get wet. Also cold winter wind does a lot of damage to the small stems and leaves. Poncirus is deciduous so it doesn't suffer any leaf damage. The Poncirus hybrids that I grow will get damaged since they tend to not shed their leaves.