Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winsorw

Sweet life berry goji berry...not sweet

winsorw
9 years ago

Hello,
This is my first year growing this particular goji berry, and I got a few from different sources. The berries are not sweet and have a bitter taste. Anybody has this problem? I also have a crimson star, its fruits were not sweet the first year but no bitter taste and now they are ver delicious.
Thanks for any suggestion.

Comments (16)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

I was given a plant, no name. It was sweet in early summer but with little flavor. Now like yours it's just awful. Bitter astringent I don't know maybe both, yuck.

• curtis
    9 years ago

Perhaps you were tricked, like "red delicious" and "hope and change"

• greendumb
    9 years ago

I have three goji berry plants. The first berries to come out were sweet with little or no flavor. As the summer has progressed and larger and more numerous berries were produced, the results were much different.
    You have to gather about 20 or 30 to get an amount to taste.
    The taste was at best horrible and will be left for the birds.
    I will be digging them up and placing them in the compost pile
    after the berries stop producing for the birds.

• winsorw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greendumb, sorry to hear that your goji tastes horrible. Do you know what your variety is? The ones I planted a few years back was 'crimson star' and now they produce quite delicious berries. I gave a handful to a few people and they were amazed how good it tasted. But not for 'sweet lifeberry' that I just planted.

• jjd_z7a_nj
    9 years ago

I just ate my first 'Sweet Lifeberry" today. It was ok, kind of a cross between a very mild hot pepper and a tomato. No bitterness though.

• greendumb
    9 years ago

I purchased my Goji plants from Michigan Bulb Co.
    and no variety name was given.

• winsorw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks jjd_z7a_nj, you are lucky, maybe there is a hope for me, perhaps it will be better next year.
    greendumb, yours look like crimson star.

• danzeb
    9 years ago

I haven't gotten any berries in 3 years from my Gogi's since the pine mice are eating their roots and slowing growth. I have eaten dried goji berries and they were tasty but I don't know the variety.

• danzeb
    9 years ago

Got rid of the pine mice (for now) that were eating the roots of my Gogi plants. I have now gotten a few berries. They are sweet with a very slight bitter after taste. I don't know if they were fully ripe but I did like the taste and my wife liked them also. The variety is Crimson Star.

• Mary Leek
    8 years ago

I have read that you must wait until the calyxes have turned brown before the berries are actually ripe. Perhaps you've not waited long enough before picking the berries.

• winsorw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks mary-littlerockar but I agree with RedSun. I have another variety (crimson) and it's never been bitter.

• Mary Leek
    8 years ago

May I ask, where do you find these varieties of berry plants or seed?

winsorw thanked Mary Leek
  • winsorw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I bought them from a few places, mostly online. You can Google the name 'Life Berry'. I don't think it's worth the money though. If you want to grow them from seeds, I can harvest some for you next summer.

• bvbv
    7 years ago

Wondering if the goji berry bitterness was ever figured out. I picked up an 1-gallon "Goji Berry" plant at The Home Depot this past spring, and so far all the berries I've dried or tasted fresh taste bitter and full of seeds. Does hot weather (Austin, Texas) make these things bitter? I haven't planted it--still in the pot it came in so I'm assuming its not the soil pH. Anybody grow Crimson Star in Central Texas and have a different result? That variety was touted in this thread as being sweet, but wondering if it matters what part of the country you're growing it in....

• A J
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

1. Most have no-name/unnamed varieties that will never taste good.

2. People lump Lycium barbarum and Lycium chinense together as "goji berries."

3. Climate conditions likely plays a factor in final taste

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals