Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattpf

Warm stratification for prunus seeds,how do you guys do it

mattpf (zone4)
10 years ago

Do any of you do a period of warm stratification while trying to sprout peach /nectarine,apricot and plum seeds

I've read interesting articles on percentage of sprouting goes way up if you do a period of warm stratification before you do a cold one.
I've also read this is the only way to sprout plum seeds.

I'd love to hear stories on how anybody is doing it and or tips on doing it .

Comments (3)

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

Simple. Put them in deep pots or in sandwitch baggies and put them outside. Even better, plant them in the ground. Both stratification requirents done, as well as spring conditions

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I plan on sprouting them very soon and grow them indoors throughout winter under a grow light and possibly have them 12" tall before next spring starts.

• itheweatherman
    10 years ago

This is how I do it:

Dry the pit for 24 hrs, then crack the seed and soak the kernel for about an hour. Then, in a sandwich bag add indoor plant potting soil and add a little bit of water---the soil should be moist but not wet. After that, place the seeds inside, and then store the bags in the fridge---you could also wrap the bags with newspaper to prevent the potting soil from spilling.

Every three to four days open the bag a minute or two so the seeds would get some oxygen. If you follow this process, the seeds will germinate in less than 3 months�"they will actually root inside the bag, when this happens it means that they are ready to be planted in a pot. The seedlings should get morning sun and afternoon shade. Since the seedlings wonâÂÂt have enough time to develop they will not survive the winter, therefore, the best thing to do is to take them inside your house for the rest of winter.

This is very fun project to do with the family however, the trees wonâÂÂt produce fruits identical to the parent�"true from seed; a couple years ago I planted an elberta peach seed, the seed germinated, grew into a tree then it produced fruit, but the fruit was not very good, it had a big pit with little flesh. Thus, the best thing to do is just buy a peach tree from your local Home depot. All of them are grafted (clones from the same mother tree) this guarantees that the fruit will come true to the fruit.

IâÂÂm currently doing this process that I explained to you above, but this is for my breeding program. I have heirloom stone fruit seeds in the fridge; and some apricots seeds that I placed in the freezer in June have already germinated. I have some peach seeds that I hand pollinated (when they used to be flowers) with plum and apricot pollen; and plum seeds that were pollinated with peach and apricot pollen; and almond seeds (when they used to be flowers) with peach pollen.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022