Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradybbb

Blueberry ID Lineup

Bradybb WA-Zone8
11 years ago

I want to get some objective answers to my question,so after some followups I will post my reason for doing this.

Can anyone tell by the photos which two plants look similar and one is different and why?

I can provide more pics if necessary. Thanks,Brady

{{gwi:123657}}

{{gwi:123658}}

{{gwi:123659}}

Comments (17)

• riverman1
    11 years ago

One in center looks different to me.........looks like it could maybe use a shot of Nitrogen. Hopefully I didn't just flunk the test, lol.

RM

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

I agree with the one in the middle. The two on the ends seem to be spreading the same and the branches look the same. The one in the middle might need a little food, but it looks denser in the middle and more upright growing.

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Looks like the mid one flushed out good growth but is... too acid? Check the PH. Just for kicks.

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

The two outside ones seem to have broader leaves IMO...

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Planting medium in the center pot looks different.

Looks like all three have roots to the drain holes.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay thanks everyone for responding.This is about whether or not the center plant in the top photo is the same variety as the other two.Most people have commented about that.
    It's really deals with the fiasco that some people on this forum,(and most likely quite a few others)went through last year and early this year when they discovered that the Blueberry plants they ordered,myself included,labeled Sweetcrisp from Florida Hill Nursery were actually some other kind(s) of Blueberry plants,which cannot even now be identified.
    I purchased three and received them early September of last year.It was later in 2011 or early 2012 that some people were noticing differences in the formation and look of the fruit compared to genuine Sweetcrisp from other sources.
    I wanted the real deal with Sweetcrisp and bought five small plants around January or February from another nursery.These two that are in the picture on either side of the FHN Sweetcrisp? are part of that group.They look like Sweetcrisp that I've seen pictured on this forum.
    I contacted FHN last Spring about my concerns and was basically told that it was an isolated occurrence and only involved a few individuals.
    Maybe my camera work does not show it clearly,but to me that middle plant is not a Sweetcrisp Blueberry when compared to the other two or any other photo that I've seen showing the growth habit and leaf structure of this variety!
    Now that I've explained my reason for this post,do I have sufficient evidence to present to FHN and get some redemption?That's really the question I wanted to ask but wanted to be fair about asking it on this forum.Thanks,Brady

By the way,all these plants seen here were fed from the same bottle since last Spring.It just the the mystery Blueberry's leaves,(at least I think it's a Blueberry)never get bigger or darker like most varieties do.It looks healthy and is growing,just not like most others do.
    Larry,thanks I'll look into repotting them before the year is out,they are growing fairly well right now.

• bennylafleur
    11 years ago

Brady,
    when I saw the pictures the thought occurred to me that it might be about the Sweetcrisp fiasco. I just checked my email from Florida Hill, they told me also that it was an isolated incident, and my order was not in the time frame of the mess up. I am not sure what I have from them, but mine did not grow well and looks more like the plant in the center of your picture.
    I would like to hear what FHN says after you present the evidence to them.

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

Brady, good luck with FHN! I was one of the lucky ones who got taken care of pretty well after the Sweetcrisp ordeal. They sent me a lot of plants after the mix up but none of them are sweetcrisp. Even so, I've got a bunch of varieties now and all are growing very well. Haven't lost one plant yet, but quickly finding out that I don't have enough rain water storage for all of them. If anyone is in the Houston area and would like to come pick up some plants get in touch with me!!! The plant in the middle does look like it could use a shoot of N2. When the mature leafs get lime green to yellow its sure sign of N2 shortage. I hope FHN takes care of you!!! If not, shame on them! Good luck!!!

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Brady,

It is very hard to tell the plants apart and frankly I don't think what Florida Hill did was an accident. You will know for sure next spring when they start to set fruit.

For what it is worth I think all 3 in the above photo could be the same variety. I have over 50 sweetcrisps growing here and when they are young the growth pattern can be quite different between plants.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

I agree with bamboo, at this stage you can't tell. The fruit is the only reliable indicator. My mixed up plants were a very nice blueberry and some real junk. I hope you have the real deal or something else good. You'll know next spring.

• dirtslinger2
    11 years ago

I have 6-7 varieties and all have different sized leaves and even plant shape as well.
    Your best indicator will be fruit season and quality.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay thanks,that's what I wanted to know,if this is the best time to contact them.I'll wait until fruiting and then see.Thanks again,Brady

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Brady,

One thing to look for.....others have noticed this also and it runs true for my sweetcrisps is that the top couple of inches of new growth tends to wilt over in the heat of the day. It is odd as none of my other 14 or so varieties EVER do this. Not sure this would hold true for you as an indicator as you are further north. I think it was the poster in Texas? That noticed this behavior as well.

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

That was me Bam that posted about Sweetcrisp wilt. Ive also noticed that Sweetcrisp are very fast growing to the point of being lanky. The distance between leafs are much longer than most and the branches tend to be much slimmer than most varieties. They are definatly unique in the blueberry world. Once you get a real sweetcrisp and know there characteristics they are pretty easy to identify out of a line up just by there growth patterns. Ive been tipping new growth on my sweetcrisp about every 6 to 8 inches to slow them down and unlike most varieties they dont tend to branch out very much. Once tipped they usually send out 1 or 2 shoots when all my other varieties send out multiple shoots, sometimes too many for the cane to support.

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

I should probably add to my last comment that Im refering to 2 year old potted nursery stock and not tissue culture plugs. I cant speak for Sweetcrisp tissue culture because I dont have any of those. Im sure the growth pattern is probably alittle bit different between the two initially.

• riverman1
    11 years ago

I am surprised that some are saying to wait for fruit-set. I have about 6-8 different varieties and the leaves are quite different from one variety to the next but quite similar among varieties. I can identify many of them by just a glance at the bush.........not always but most of the time. The berries are also a good indicator, but again, not always. If a person had more experience than I do I'm confident they could probably ID most plants by either the plant itself or the fruit.

RM

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Riverman,

I sent multiple pictures of Fruitnuts mystery BB plants, leaves and fruit from Florida Hill to Dr. Paul Lyrene one of the worlds top experts on BB. He is responsible for creating many of our favorite BB varieties and he was unable to ID the bushes and he has studied them his entire career.

In sweetcrisps case the berries are a dead giveaway, very distinctive.