Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are hybrid plum seeds infertile?

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 0:20

I have been planting allot, mostly from Japanese plums but really nothing much came up.
Have kept them moist in the fridge, shelled, or planted whole but nothing seems do do anything.

Just put a bunch in the ground again,..am I doing something wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are hybrid plum seeds infertile?

Same thing with my Satsuma plums: Nothing germinates.

o

Not as a rule. I get lots of seedlings around some hybrid plums. Near a Shiro and Methely tree where several have sprouted up I discovered a plum with very red leaves and edible fruit. Haven't had a chance to try it when truly ripe- the tree might be of real value.

I can't vouch for how reliably they sprout or about a wide range of varieties.

o

I have had wicked success with the litle gren plums from ontario orchards. For fun i put 3 pits in a bag, and I managed to get all 3 to sprout. I let them sit in water for a few weeks, put them in a baggie and tossed them in a fridge.

The best part, ive read the green or yellow plums come pretty close to being "true" from seed. They seem to grow quite fast...

I beleive stone fruits need warm stratificatin then a period of warm stratification. I may leave the pits on, and just give the a slight crack. IF you put them outside, make sure there is something over top so the squirrels cant find them. That may be one of the reasons they didnt sprout (if you planted them outside).

o

Thank you all!
Yesterday I put apricots and plums in,..this way, [sometimes in trays] because it has worked on apricots about 8 years ago, more the half sprouted, not shelled. Squirrels here is not much of a problem because hardly any around, ..still can find lots of seeds many years after.

o

Wow Konrad. You are wonderfully precise. My orchard needs your help! I hope it works. Mrs. G

o

Konrad,

Your soil looks so good. I am quite jealous. When you say, "hybrid", do you mean Japanese x American, or Interspecific; plum x apricot?

canadianplant,

"stone fruits need warm stratification then a period of warm stratification"

You mean warm then cold, correct?

This warm stratification is new for me so I did a search and came up with this link below. I had really good success sprouting fig cuttings in green moss as it kept everything uniformly moist. I was wondering if that would work well for stone fruits as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: GERMINATION OF PLUM SEEDS

o

milehighgirl,
Some of these..

Here is a link that might be useful: HYBRID (PRAIRIE HARDY) PLUMS

o

Yes milehigh, warm then cold sorry!

Konrad, I had 100% success with apricots too. I cant remember if i pitted them or not. The tree got broken last winter but is now pushing 2 feet tall. Nice little seedling hardened of for its second winter!!

o

Konrad,

On your advice or mention, I can't remember which, I bought a Black Ice aka: Lydecker. I can't wait to see how it tastes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here