Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do i need to winterize blackberries

Posted by sugarshane1313 z 6 WPA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 0:25

first year for growing blackberries(triple crown)these things are huge(no berries though).growing on 30' wires 9'tall. do i need to cover them or prune them. any suggestions? thanks Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do i need to winterize blackberries

if your zone 6 is like my zone 6, then you need to do nothing. This year you grew primocanes, next year they will send forth new growth and be floracanes (which means you get berries)

I seem to get a windstorm each fall which tucks my leaves neatly into the beds I use for blackberries, raspberries and currants. I just leave (pun intended) well enough alone after that and I've not had any problems.

~Chills

o

No - blackberries are extremely cold hardy.
Do cut out the canes that have already borne fruit - they are done after they bear once.

From everything I have recently read, a late fertilization (now, early september) is a good idea and don't worry about adding some nitrogen in Fall.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 17, 07 at 2:15

wetcalyz,

Do you have any references to the late fertilization thing? What is the objective behind it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here