Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

My Juicer

Konrad___far_north
17 years ago

I like to share this unfamiliar way for most of you, getting juice out of many fruits and veggies.

Some of you know the way my juicer works but have not seen it in detail.

Have some pictures now but probably you want some more, this for a start.

The Grinder, looking down when hoper is taken off.

Using saw blades as you see in this pic, around 50 blades being spaced by stainless steel washers.

{{gwi:123693}}

Running at high speed,... table saw motor. Apple grind shoots down into a pillow case into the centrifuge, a slightly modified spin dryer running at about 2000 RPM.

[After the grinder is shot off!]

This is the drum of my second, [back up machine] made in England, the holes on the walls I have drilled, to gain additional juice escape. There where only slots in the middle. The drum and outer shell was reconditioned, tin plated, to make it food save.

{{gwi:123694}}

Chrome plated the rim and lid.

{{gwi:123695}}

The centrifuge is mounted on plywood with small casters [wheels] to move it

easily under and out of the grinder, sometimes using two centrifuge when there is

a need, [allot of apples].

Juicing is done outside, the grinder mounted on the picnic table.

Konrad

{{gwi:123696}}

Comments (22)

• jellyman
    17 years ago

Konrad:

You can build all this stuff because you are a machinist, but most of use would not be technically capable of such creations.

I achieve pretty much the same objectives with an off-the-shelf kitchen disposal, which actually grinds the apple pulp even finer than your saw blades, and does so almost instantly. It cost me 30 US$, and I built the table to install it out of scrap lumber. A better, more powerful disposal would be recommended, however, since they do overheat after 30 minutes continuous duty, and you have to wait 15 minutes for cooldown.

I use a large, standard screw press and nylon pressing bags, which, combined with the fine grind of the disposal, leaves a cake that is quite a bit more dry than could be achieved with any centrifuge, short of a jet engine.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat, and the easiest way is best. My apologies to the cats.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Don for your input and your way of getting satisfaction of making apple juice!

>>You can build all this stuff because you are a machinist, but most of use would not be technically capable of such creations.

This is a copy of a farmers version, have been going to him for years, but then came a time building my own.

Hopefully, someone can pick up ideas from yours or my version, perhaps someone else can share another idea.

Konrad

• murkwell
    17 years ago

konrad, how do you clean the blade apparatus?

• Scott F Smith
    17 years ago

Thanks for the pictures Konrad. That is one scarey-looking grinder! I was most interested in your centrifuge thinking it was something you bought and maybe I could get one too. Actually we have a washer with a super-fast spin cycle so if it were to break in some other way I could perhaps "recondition" it as an juice centrifuge. I am a bit surprised that a centrifuge will get so much juice out, its easier to imagine squeezing as opposed to spinning the juice out. From your picture of the leftover apple pumice it looks like the spinning does in fact do a good job.

Scott

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

>>how do you clean the blade apparatus?

Just hose it down with garden hose.

>>That is one scary-looking grinder

Yes, but the result is unbelievable! This is really the key to get most out of your juice out! The apple grind has just the right texture! Not too fine, not too coarse, a pail of apples, about 5 gall. grinds in about 10 seconds.

Don Yellman says....
    >>I achieve pretty much the same objectives with an off-the-shelf kitchen disposal, which actually grinds the apple pulp even finer than your saw blades, and does so almost instantly

Did you know, when grinding too fine, you actually need more power to get the juice out!...especially when the mash is being quizzed....It's been proven!

I had this machine at the Alberta provincial fruit festival for a demo, the second time now and people with a home press where just thrilled what this can do and want to switch to something like this.
    In Switzerland, I went to the neighbor for juicing for many years, who had more of a investment then me, [a good size press] and needed at least double amount of time.

>> I am a bit surprised that a centrifuge will get so much juice out, its easier to imagine squeezing as opposed to spinning the juice out. From your picture of the leftover apple pumice it looks like the spinning does in fact do a good job.

Exactly, and it's done effortless, easier to clean, just hose it down. It works so easy that it's not a big deal to make fresh juice ones a week.

>>Actually we have a washer with a super-fast spin cycle so if it were to break in some other way I could perhaps "recondition" it as an juice centrifuge.

Just remember, you need at least about 2000 RPM
    Most newer machines go about 1000 RPM

You can still buy brand new dry spinners in the USA....I think someone in Huston
    sells them but not cheap!....In Mexico they are much cheaper someone said?
    Konrad

• squeeze
    17 years ago

speaking of "squeezing" :)
    and a simple and effecient homemade setup

Bill

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all!
    Just a update
    Someone asked....
    Thanks Konrad for your info. Mann , o, Mann das Ding sieht angsterregend aus. What diameter is the shaft with those saw blades on? How fast does it turn? Maybe the answers are on the web and I have over looked it. What if that shaft brakes? That thing would have the same effect as a "Stalins Orgel"

My answer
    Na.... gar nicht so schlimm! LOL
    I used a 3/4" drill rod, turned one side down to 5/8", [saw blade hole size] so one end still remained the 3/4" a few inches long to accommodate a 3/4" pillow bearing support. Not sure how the farmer did it, probably used 5/8" all the way and made a stop with a sleeve? The reason for this is, all the saw blades can be tightened towards that shoulder of the shaft with a sleeve
    from the other end, 5/8" inside 3/4" outside, also using a 3/4" pillow bearing over that sleeve.

>>What if that shaft brakes? That thing would have the same effect as a "Stalins Orgel"

LOL
    I was thinking about this too for some times. A customer at one time had a rock in the apples and that scarred the hell out of me! It sounded like a rock crusher for a few seconds! Some teeth on the blades got wrecked but no broken shaft! ...I guess this shaft test was very successful! LOL
    If it ever will break, nothing really bad can happen because that heavy gauge Stainless Steel housing
    and funnel on top will keep everything inside.
    There is actually something else sliding down into the housing, just above the saw blades, on top of that a funnel type hopper fits over it. Have no pictures posted yet.....if someone is interested in building it, I can post more pics. I know, that farmer who has build one, from whom I got the idea from, used very thin sheet metal, I sure didn't want to go that flimsy, just for that very reason!
    How fast does it turn?
    Tabel saw speed, not sure exatly, must be around 3000 RPM

I was asked if the spin dryer [centrifuge] can be bought new.

Here is a link of a dryer, sold in the USA...I think?
    Before restoring a old machine, I was looking into the idea of buying a new one, but then have found a cheap used machine and figured if I buy new, I have to take it apart anyway and have it tin plated to make it "food grade" especially when juicing is done for the public.

Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Spin Dryer

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just a update...
    I had allot of Evans, sour sherries this year, picked about 2/3, 40 gal. [8 pails] and juiced them in the spin dryer.
    It went fairly well, after figuring out what the machine can handle. First, I filled a pail half full with cherries, then with a hand drill and paint mixer,...as shown on table, made a soup out of it. I couldn't believe how well that paint mixer worked, it worked so well that it felt like it's made for this job, it only took about 1 min. and all
    cherries where stripped from the pit!
    But....the extracting went not so good as it does for apples, I can load the spinner with only 1./4 the amount because it's heavier and the juice doesn't go thru the fabric very easy, nevertheless, we did it in a afternoon, my son helped me, washing out the bag after every spin cycle, because fibre clogs it. This doesn't happen with apples, ...well it does when using over ripe mushy apples. All juice got sweetened with honey, some gets frozen and some goes to wine.
    The pulp gets dried for bird feed.
    Konrad
    {{gwi:115864}}

{{gwi:123697}}

• juniorpilot
    16 years ago

Konrad and Don,

I have no knowledge of, or experience with, juicers so please forgive my simple questions.

Now that my eight apple trees are four years old and are starting to bear more fruit than I can eat, I guess my next step is learning about preserving.

Why not just buy a juicer that I have seen at big box and department stores? Is it the quantities of apples that you guys process that preclude an off-the-self juicer? Or can it be the craftsman's pride that motivated you to create such a beautiful industrial strength machine?

I like dried apples without sulfur. I have dried my own apricots in the sun in years past. So can I dry my apples in the sun?

Can one freeze apples as well as apple juice?

Thanks for any answers.

Tony

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    16 years ago

>>Why not just buy a juicer that I have seen at big box and department stores? Is it the quantities of apples that you guys process that preclude an off-the-self juicer?Yes, with a store bought machine youÂll be working hard whole day to process a bucket of apples. I donÂt think frizzing apples is a good ideaÂ..you could, but then you end up heaving mushy apples, perhaps for draining the juice?
    Konrad

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Hi Konrad. I remember those evans cherries from the bird forum and have been hungry for cherries ever since!! I followed you over here. LOL.... That is a pretty fantastic setup you have and I am so glad you had such a wonderful bounty.

Juniorpilot, i have heard of freezing your apples and drying your own apples in the sun. The dried apples make great fried pies. I watched my mom a long time ago and she cut her apples up and put them in slightly salty water to keep them from browning and then she would freeze them in zip lock bags then when she wanted fried apples or a pie she would thaw them out and drain the water off. Bonnie

• juniorpilot
    16 years ago

Konrad and Bonnie,

Thank you for the information.

Tony

• liz_h
    16 years ago

My Mom used to freeze apples for pies. She treated them with lemon juice or powdered Vit C. Your local library should have a book on home canning and freezing, or your local extension agent may be able to help.

Btw, I found this thread looking for info on a small home juicer - I'm most impressed with the setups shown here!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all!

Finally, got around showing you more of other detail parts of this grinder..
    This is a piece of stainless sheet metal, pushed down on top, inside of grinder housing, what is taking up some empty space on one side of the housing wall, where the sawblade stay away a little, making sure, all apples are being ground up the same.
    In the same time, a deflector, a piece of bent sheet metal is welded on, this helps in aiding the apples to roll to the right, towards the direction of the blades, making a smoother operation.

[When all the sawblades are being tightened up, it can be difficult to make the housing fit the blades in total with, so it was easier to make a devise to cover some empty space.]

You see a 3/4 " hole on bottom left, this is a safety design I have put in place this year, a 3/4 inch shaft, two of them, top an bottom, this one you see here is for the top, encase of a shaft brakeage at full speed, all the guts, blades and all will be trapped inside, making sure, nothing can fly outside

{{gwi:123698}}
    You see the 3/4" shaft sticking out of the housing, this shaft will be taken out first, then the piece of sheet metal / deflector, pushed down, then locked with the shaft.

{{gwi:123699}}
    Here in the locked position

{{gwi:123700}}
    This is the hopper, [upside down] which slides over the housing.
    {{gwi:123701}}

Konrad

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Konrad, this is the most amazing juicer I've ever seen. Not to mention that wicked blade setup! You should consider patenting this, and putting it into production. There is a fairly decent "slow food" market for your product, you realize? Especially here in California, up in the San Francisco area as well as down in my area, San Diego. I would actually pay you to make one for me. Now that I'm going to have about 12 to 15 apple trees, I'd love to be able to juice apple juice like this, and be able to freeze some, give some away, and maybe even sell a little bit. Fantastic, I am so amazed.

Patty S.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Holy Cow! Konrad you are too much! What does it cost? Mrs. G

• greenorchardmom
    11 years ago

Konrad, I think you might be able to sell these!
    have you considered creating them by a warm fire thru whats left of the winter?
    maybe the shipping costs are prohibitive...
    hmmmm or that you must weld & cut the metal in a cold shed

• olpea
    11 years ago

It may not be completely clear on this thread, but these are two different machines - one grinder and one juicer.

The shipping wouldn't be a big expense compared to the materials (stainless steel, other components and fabrication can be pretty expensive). Years ago Konrad helped me with some specific questions on how to build the grinder and even went out to his barn on one of his cold Canadian winter days to take some measurements for me. I intended to build one, but have always had too many other projects to get it started. (Konrad, I still have all the information you gave me in a folder and still hope to build before I die.) At one time I estimated about $1000 in materials for the grinder. The saw blades alone cost about $500.

The craftsmanship is so well done, I think he could sell these machines on the internet.

Konrad, you used to have a video showing your grinder and juicer in action. It was interesting, you ought to tack it on this thread.

• eurolec
    10 years ago

My Juicer

posted by: konrad___far_north on 09.28.2006 at 12:30 am in Fruit & Orchards Forum

i like konrad to please kontakt me about the juicer
    regards ziggy

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    7 years ago

When visiting a farm in Switzerland they had one of these belt press on wheels, kind of semi commercial, beautiful machine, can juice around 700 litres/hour but it cost around $100'000. Not something I could afford or wanted.

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    5 years ago

Thank you photo bucket for showing pictures again....