Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name this apple...

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 0:37

Can someone name this HUGE apple please?
I have thinned out this tree.
Supposedly it is one from Minnesota, it must have taken at least 7 years for it to fruit.

Sept. 21, 2012

A couple on top of the pail
Sept. 21, 2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name this apple...

Heh, they look liek fuji, or royal gala..... Fuji wouldnt survive there though, would it?

IT doesnt match anything on the U of Minn agro site either...

o

It could be a honeycrisp. They can get pretty big, we see them over a pound if we thin too much. The striping is right, but usually the sun side goes near full red.

take a bite, the texture is pretty unique: super crunch/juice and course flesh. The flavor is good but not complex tending toward sweet. skin should be pretty thin and tender.

o

Konrad it looks just like my Jonagold. Mrs. G

o

Thank you all!
Sorry, wish it was all of these you have suggested, it's not the best tasting apple,..about in the lower average range, kind on the dry side,... definitely not crisp.

o

Moose food?

o

Looks like Fireside. The late Topper (http://www.minnesotaharvest.net/apple-varieties/connell-red-fireside) said they taste a little like banana, and I would agree with that sentiment. He also said that 25% of them never really ripen no matter how long you leave them on the tree, which is unusual for an apple. So perhaps that is what you have experienced?

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 18:18

Konrad,what are the pink apples in the bucket?

o

Konrad:

I once lived in Minnesota for 8 years and sold a lot of
apple trees to garden centers while I was there. I do not
think the photos look like Honeycrisp.

My thoughts are Fireside, prairie spy or possibly secor?

o

Thank you all!
I'm going to check this out.

Glenn, the pink one's are Carroll, much better tasting crisp apples, the only drawback on these is they don't store long.
Carroll, from a couple weeks earlier, the sheet you see is a experimental row cover over a branch for hail, ...luckily hail was very light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here