Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
axel_hb

Most amazing Hawaii apple

Axel
15 years ago

I had my first Hawaii apple (a cross in between Gravenstein and Golden Delicious) and it completely blew me away, never had such a deliciously juicy and full-bodied flavored apple. Not only do they look beautiful with their pineapple yellow skin and slight red blush, but they are so crunchy and juicy and so amazingly tasty.

Is anyone else growing 'Hawaii'? How can it be that this isn't one of the top commercial apples? It's simply incredible.

Comments (13)

• geraldo_linux
    15 years ago

Believe it or not I have grown that apple for thirty years. Darn, I am really getting old. I agree that it is an apple that should be better known. It doesn't have great cosmetics so it never made it in the commercial trade. What I like about it is how you can eat somewhat different apples based on what part of the tree the apple is from and how much shade it was exposed to. For this reason it is a different apple to store.

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

I also think it is fantastic. I think of it as "Improved Yellow Delicious" - similar but better. Unfortunately the roots of my tree got fireblight this year and it died just before the apples were finished ripening. I budded it on another tree so I can keep the variety.

Scott

• NWAorchardguy
    10 years ago

Anyone know where to purchase one? Stark Bros. carried them years ago...I'd be glad to buy one or two from someone on this forum.

• johnnysapples
    10 years ago

You talked me into getting some scion wood. Maple Orchard has it on their list. I am going to get some next March. They say it looks and tastes like a pineapple. Is that true?

• dmtaylor
    10 years ago

I've had the Hawaii, good apple. I like Sinta even better -- another improved Golden Delicious type. Look 'em up on Maple Valley -- that's how I got mine.

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

Cummins actually has some still in stock on G16 rootstock.

I remember reading that Hawaii is susceptible to scab, so I've avoided it so far. Such reviews make me consider making an exception, as I did for Karmijn de Sonnaville.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cummins

• johnnysapples
    10 years ago

Is this an apple that will grow well in the north like Southern Mich?

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Its funny to see my own opinion above from five years ago. The tree that I re-grafted Hawaii to after my original tree died took forever to grow since it was in prime deer munch lane, but it started fruiting again last year. I don't remember any pineapple in the flavor but it was very aromatic and with a good flavor balance overall. The apples also looked really nice, something I appreciate a lot in my climate where skin diseases make many varieties uggly at harvest time. I'm very glad I saved the variety. Bob, I don't get much scab anywhere so can't comment on that aspect.

Scott

• dmtaylor
    10 years ago

Johnnysapples, Maple Valley is in Wisconsin in Zone 4b so they should be able to answer as to how well they grow in cool climates. Obviously they grow well enough to sell scion wood!

• spartan-apple
    10 years ago

jonnysapples:

I sampled Hawaii a few years ago at Weston's Antique
    apple orchard in Waukesha WI. Weston's is known for lots of unusual apple varieties as can be seen on their
    webpage. I am not sure if it grows well in SE WI but the apples were fine the year I tasted them. Weston's used to offer a grafting seminar in April. I asume they still do.
    Anyone in the SE WI area might possibly be able to graft
    a Hawaii at the seminar. I suspect for 2013 this seminar would already be over.

• spartan-apple
    10 years ago

I just checked the website for Weston's. Their grafting seminar is tomorrow (April 27th). They do list Hawaii.

They also sell bench grafts! Really neat is they also sell
    apple sample packs where one can order a selection of
    unusual apples to taste each one? Great idea.

Their list of varieties is very long for those who want a bench graft of some of the unusual varieties that most nurseries no longer offer.

This post was edited by spartan-apple on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 12:00

• johnnysapples
    10 years ago

Silly me I should have figured that if they can grow them so can I.