Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach in a Corner - Balance and Height Issues?

Posted by kayan 10 San Francisco, CA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 0:54

This poor bareroot peach I bought about two years ago is in a 20 gallon pot. It's lived in Redwood City, CA and was supposed to be tentatively in San Francisco but I'm about ready to throw my arms up and just stick it in the ground so it can have a permanent home. Plus, it fruited in San Francisco just fine, which I never thought would happen.

My questions are mainly about where I'm going to put it and pruning it. The backyard is tiny, our neighbors are right next to and behind us, and the yard is north facing (yuck). So the best option I've got is to put it in a northern corner so it'll get the most sun and not block out the rest of my tiny plot of land.

So my concerns are...

1) If I pruned so that the tree does not invade the neighbor's property, it will definitely be off-balance. Will that be a problem? Or will the roots balance it out (into the neighbors' yards, probably, but at least it won't be in their way.)

2) Pruning for height. How low can I prune a peach tree without impeding its yield and health? (Not to mention I'm pretty darned short.)

Thanks in advance, folks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach in a Corner - Balance and Height Issues?

kayan:

Being off balance won't hurt your tree. At worst you might need to put a support under parts that are weighted down by fruit. But if you are thinning the fruit properly and pruning to keep the tree short it will support the fruit without leaning.

6-8 ft is doable with regular summer pruning. That size won't hurt the trees health at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here