Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this Cherimoya Tree appear healthy? If yes, do I prune now?

Posted by G_Thumb So Cal (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 0:56

I recently purchased this Cherimoya tree and noticed that one side of the tree's leaves are missing.
I'm not sure if I should trim the top of the plant and pluck some of the leaves. Is the tree considered too tall at 5 ft with no branches yet?
Please let me know what you think of this tree. What is the next step that I should consider?

This post was edited by G_Thumb on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 2:04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this Cherimoya Tree appear healthy? If yes, do I prune

a few more pics of the tree. sorry for the rotation of the pictures. I can't seem to get the right pics uploaded.

o

pic 3. Plant is about 5 ft tall, no branches.

o

Depends on where you live and where you want branching to start. Cherimoyas go briefly dormant around April in most temperate climate zones (northern hemisphere, of course!), dropping their leaves and then pushing new ones. So if you will still have some warm weather you might get some new growth by topping the whip now. On the other hand, that new growth will be tender and more subject to frost damage, if you get any frost.

I'd be inclined to plant and stake the tree as-is. When the leaves fall around April I'd top it at about 24"-36" and let branches begin to form from there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here