Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dufrene

Blueberry "sucker"

dufrene
9 years ago

I have a Jubilee blueberry in a container that I planted a couple of months ago. It looks healthy with moderate growth, except for one "sucker" that apparently originates from the base of the plant beneath the soil. It has outgrown all new growth on the plant by 3 or 4 fold. Please see pic. Is this typical behavior? Are blueberries propagated on rootstocks of a different species like trees? If yes, I should probably cut this off, right? If no, should I let this grow and eventually become one of my fruiting canes in the years ahead, or should i still cut it off? FYI, I bought this plant at Home Depot.

Also, in the second picture, there appears to be a single flower from small sucker on the other side of the plant. In September? No other flowers anywhere else on the bush, including what should be the "fruiting wood". It looks like a blueberry flower from my image search, so nothing to worry about, yes?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Comments (4)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Fairly normal behavior. Plants are not grafted.
    The old wood may be damaged in some way. usually it grows too, not as fast as new canes, but should also grow.
    Here are three new plants I have. All were bought at different nurseries. All have vigorous new canes that grew larger than existing canes.
    {{gwi:31769}}

This post was edited by Drew51 on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 2:44

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Yes, that's normal. Train the strong shoot more upright if that fits better. Cut it back part way to induce branching. You could do that now or wait until next spring.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

The picture of mine was from August, my new canes starting branching on their own.

• JohneP
    9 years ago

It is normal for some cultivars. The sucker should be allowed to grow out til about 2 years old. At that point you can remove the sucker and plant a brand new plant!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville